Varieties of green beans

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the chance to buy green beans from another rep. I'm thinking of going w/tenderette's. What are good varieties. I want a stringless bush bean for home use.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do they have to be green? I'm a fan of Royal Burgundy--good yields when you don't have a serious rabbit issue. Also, since DH has a tendency to boil veggies into mush when it's his turn to cook, the purple -> green color change is a handy indicator to tell him when things are done.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I tried 5 varieties last year.
Blue Lake S-7 stringless won hands down.
I ended up throwing the other beans away, because nobody would eat them (even the chickens :rolleyes: ).

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My grandfather SWORE by blue lake beans. My mom said it was only one he didn't EVERY year because he had no complaints or serious issues with disease or insects.

I have the pole version going in this year. I know they have a bush version as well like Cat mentioned. I didn't know they have a stringless bush version though!?

Then again I'm new, and chosing my plants is based on what I was told from my families experiences.

Though my aunt is the only one who still gardens!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The Blue Lake S-7 Stringless is a pole bean.
Blue Lake 274 comes in bush and there is a Blue Lake FM1 that's a pole also, but it's not as good as the S-7.

I can't have bush beans in my garden - I have space issues i.e. NOT enough space! :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Catalina said:
The Blue Lake S-7 Stringless is a pole bean.
Blue Lake 274 comes in bush and there is a Blue Lake FM1 that's a pole also, but it's not as good as the S-7.

I can't have bush beans in my garden - I have space issues i.e. NOT enough space! :p
I am not sure which one I have, only that its a blue lake pole bean. I got them from wintersown.org for free with my seed packets.

I know some people say they don't get a lot of veggies from wintersown, but I've gotten at least 2 if not 3 and once 4 packs of veggie seeds in my packets!

I have tons of heirloom tomatoes from them, the beans, peas, Brocolli Rabe, Radish, 2 kinds of lettuce.... good stuff too!

I only bought corn and spinach this year!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We only grown Blue Lakes here! We tried Kentucky Wonder one year and they were horrible. I'd like to try a different variety this year though, just for the heck of it.

bulldog-girl

Sprout
Reaction score
:thI have googled and cannot find the Blue Lake s-7 stingless for sale. Are they called something else? I also looked through all my seed catalogs.