Veg Plot

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Happy call duck it sounds like you have a lovely garden! Can't wait to see pictures of it. Espaliered cherry tree, that ought to be interesting, you will have to start a thread on that and post pictures of your progress!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
And it shouldn't take a very strong fence to keep the chickens out. Doesn't have to be expensive. I had to fence my garden after I discovered that my chickens love green tomatoes. I just have a 2' high fence around my azalea garden, and the chickens don't try to jump over it. But the veggie garden fence is 4'. They could fly over it if they wanted, but are usually too busy to think about it.
We bought the bright orange plastic fencing that builders use. It is pretty cheap for the amount you get. You can easily put it up in a temporary way to keep the chickens out of the veggies.You do need to keep a bit of an eye on them so they do get under it.

Happy call duck

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi every one i will try to put pic's of each stag of me trying to do Espalier my Cherry tree. SO here i go. The first step is to put it in a big pot, as i have to get the place were i am to put it isn't ready yet, as we have had so much rain the soil is far to wet and boggy, so i put it in a large pot. I have put 3 large Cain's in near the tree, then 3 more woven in to the up right Cains, and tie them off so they don't move. Then i bent the stem's down to the Cain's and tied them of with some twin so lay flat to the Cain's. carried up to the height i want. Any stem's growing in the wrong way just cut back to the main stem.
IMG00005.JPG

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh wow, mate! So you want to talk to us Yanks? So are they permanently in pots? Or are you waiting until better weather? An apple orchard that I grew up near in New Britain, Connecticut has been around for 4 generations. They have a new way of growing their orchards with the trees much closer than was the tradition. It is a bit like Espalier where the trees are grown with wire supports as with grapes. The yield per acre is improved and the trees are kept short for ease of picking. Very cool to see! Welcome to this crazy forum.

Happy call duck

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh wow, mate! So you want to talk to us Yanks? So are they permanently in pots? Or are you waiting until better weather? An apple orchard that I grew up near in New Britain, Connecticut has been around for 4 generations. They have a new way of growing their orchards with the trees much closer than was the tradition. It is a bit like Espalier where the trees are grown with wire supports as with grapes. The yield per acre is improved and the trees are kept short for ease of picking. Very cool to see! Welcome to this crazy forum.
Hi there catjac1975, i like you Yanks,as i have family in South Carolina, No it won't be in the pot for ever just till the water goes, I hope it will work, and have good crop on it, It my take a time to happen but i hope it should be good. We have had bad floods over here and land slide's so you can see why i haven't planted it out. Ho by the way this is not my car.
upload_2014-3-1_9-47-34.jpeg
upload_2014-3-1_9-48-9.jpeg

Latest posts