Veg Plot

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope your weather calms down soon there in Great Britain. I can only imagine all the old historic gardens that could be ruined.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Uhm...how did I miss this thread? It's got three pages! :th

Welcome to TEG Happy Call Duck! It seems like your espalier is going good so far, I've tried it once and the poor tree was eaten alive by little bunny-rabbits. Hopefully your weather does come down soon, or you may need a boat just to go to the grocery store.

Us Yankees are happy to have a Brit here, it makes things more interesting. You are the only English person here that I now of, we have an Australian member. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is fun to compare growing ideas and practices with each other. Weather is a direct impact on growing gardens. Here in Texas it is the iron-smelting HEAT that plants have to either live through or plant them early enough so they can produce and die when the heat sets in. Our Northerner gardeners stare at snow, starting seedlings indoors and feverishly working to get the harvest in before the white blanket of snow descends again.

Happy call duck

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Uhm...how did I miss this thread? It's got three pages! :th

Welcome to TEG Happy Call Duck! It seems like your espalier is going good so far, I've tried it once and the poor tree was eaten alive by little bunny-rabbits. Hopefully your weather does come down soon, or you may need a boat just to go to the grocery store.

Us Yankees are happy to have a Brit here, it makes things more interesting. You are the only English person here that I now of, we have an Australian member. :)
Thank's for making fell welcome. The weather here is improving, not by much, they say we are going to have a bit of snow. I hope not or it's going to be like a ice rink. LoL. why don't you have another go at growing a Espalier tree again?:frow

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found this pic of different styles of espalier patterns. @Happy call duck now you have me wanting to try espaliered trees. Now if only I can convince DH that I really need a brick wall in the yard........

tour-out-espalier7-435.jpg

Happy call duck

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found this pic of different styles of espalier patterns. @Happy call duck now you have me wanting to try espaliered trees. Now if only I can convince DH that I really need a brick wall in the yard........

tour-out-espalier7-435.jpg
Hi those pic's are rely helpful, you don't need a wall rely, as i'm going to use the one i'm doing as a screen, between my top patio,and my lawn, so it break's up my garden.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no! Not another project! I have thought of putting in a Bonsai forest, but never thought to do espaliering with so much room. Still, I do like the looks (and challenge) of them.

Let's see. If I put up a chicken yard, I could espalier some fruit trees on their fencing. I really like the Tiered Candelabra and the Multiple Cordon styles.

Happy call duck

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh no! Not another project! I have thought of putting in a Bonsai forest, but never thought to do espaliering with so much room. Still, I do like the looks (and challenge) of them.

Let's see. If I put up a chicken yard, I could espalier some fruit trees on their fencing. I really like the Tiered Candelabra and the Multiple Cordon styles.
Hi that would be a good idea, the only thing i can see, is that to do that you would have to put them a bit away from the chicken's because be-leave me they will try to get at them. As i have chicken's they do eat any thing.

Happy call duck

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Evening every one it's been quite a nice day here a bit cold but still nice to get out in the garden, soil still to wet and claggie. So i have been getting all my Onions set done, as the ground isn't ready yet, i have to put them in home made paper pot's so when i can put them out i don't have disturbed them I've done the same with my garlic. I also have done my leek seed's in a pot so i can get good strong plants before i plant them out. Has any one else started growing any thing ? and what sort!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has any one else started growing any thing ? and what sort!
Haha! Ask that question on this forum and you get answers from us Southerners! :lol: Temperatures here in southeast Texas are hot, HOT, HOTTER and HOTTEST!! :p I can grow a garden all year around. Yes we do have freezing weather, but it passes quickly most of the time. This winter @seedcorn sent a lot of his snow and ice to the south and caused a lot of mayhem. :rant

In the fall, I plant green onion sets and we eat them all winter. I plant lettuce, mustard greens, collard greens, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and in mid February, I plant potatoes. In January I planted English peas, or green peas (that's what we call them to differentiate them from peas, which everybody else calls cowpeas) Colloquial expressions are interesting aren't they? As the fall/winter garden winds down, I have started seeds indoors under fluorescent lights. Toward the end of March to mid April, I will set them out and start beans, corn and other things from seed, planted direct.

Latest posts