Vegetables with special meaning

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but you said Tommy Toe tomatoes got you thinking......Carol knew you meant me...... :lol:
She said it 3 posts before I did the tommy toe reference. I'm innocent of any less than appreciative references. Really, I'm innocent, & I'm stinking to my story. :plbb

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back when my parents grew a big garden, I remember them growing these huge, beautiful heads of broccoli (maybe that's why I thought growing broccoli should be easy!) I absolutely hated broccoli as a child and we were each allowed only one vegetable to turn our nose up to, and broccoli was mine. I love broccoli now!

But it's potatoes that always bring back good memories for me. My dad had a big potato garden out on someone's farm (can't remember who) and we always thought it was the grandest adventure to ride a little ways out the winding road in the back of his old black Ford F-150 and get to hunt for potatoes as he went along the row digging them with a turning fork. We also had a huge wooden potato bin in the basement made out of pallet wood and my brother would dare me to climb inside, but I couldn't because I was too creeped out thinking it looked like a coffin!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was young I was embarrassed by my grandmothers garden. She grew tomatoes in the middle of the front yard ( thats where it got the most sun). She was to frugal to purchace tomatoe cages, she used what ever she found. The front yard was a sea of broom,mop handlels, branches, and hockey sticks! I don't know where she got all the hockey sticks, must have been stalking playgrounds.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't have the energy to grow sweet corn, but I got a hankering for fried corn like Mom used to make, so I just bought a few fresh ears to cut off the cob and fry up. It sure made a sticky mess in the kitchen but it was really good.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is going to sound odd but for me it's Christmas cactus. Yes I know it's not a garden veggie or even a fruit but that's what came to mind.

My great grandmother had a Christmas cactus and just before she passed away she had cutting that rooted and were passed on to her children. Well the tradition continued and my father has a number of them around the house. I don't have any yet due yo a certain feline who thinks house plants are some alien life form determined to take over the house so they MUST be dealt with swiftly and deadly. But he has a bunch of it. Apparently great grandma had a huge porcelain pot she grew hers in that started all of this.

It's odd because my a Dad is a recently retired high school biology teacher who I swear could grow ANYTHING but detested gardening and landscaping. He had beautiful terrariums even now he has a bunch of gorgeous African violets in all kinds of blossoms and colors, but if it's outside he won't deal with it

He helped me with my veg gardens as a kid with suggestions and even borrowed and ran a tiller for me, but to pull a weed or plant annuals? Nope. Finally asked him once why he wouldn't keep a beautiful yard with al his knowledge and he said his grandparents grew a big garden and every few weeks they would all drive to the farm to pull weeds. Flower beds, veg garden they were free labor and since he did it so much as a kid he wouldn't do it as an adult.

So now I try very hard to involve my girls and show them all the fun and fascinating things about gardening. It will be interesting to ask my girls in another 30 yrs what veg have special meaning to them.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember as a kid, during those long hot days of summer, picking raspberries at my Grandpa's place. Enough did end up in the bowl for my Grandmere to make a desert from, or as often was the case a simple berry stew, to pour over ice creme.

I think zucchini's have also been a favorite of mine, from the days spent at their country home. As expected with zuch's, there was always an abundance of them. My Grandpa and I would jump in his old 56 Austin, (the one with the turn signal wings that popped out), and off we would go to the small town of Sechelt. He had a contact at the Red & White store, who would trade grocery's for them. Grandpa always made sure a 3 pint brick of vanilla ice creme was part of the trade. :D

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every year until this year my grandmother made me a whole box of jellys and jams for the year. I so looked forward to that box every year. She just recently moved to a new home and was unable to garden this year. I'm hoping to make a few jars of jelly for her and return the favor this year.

I realize it's not a vegetable, but its my best memory involving fresh produce. :)

Latest posts