Vertical Garden for the Vertically-challenged ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just came across this photo and if a picture is worth a thousand words . . . I thought it was well worth sharing:

Here is a thread that Hattie started several years ago. It all seemed very interesting and very massive! . . . great, tall, urban walls covered in greenery! The links are great, however, for inspiration on what is possible: Vertical Gardening: A recent new interest of mine.....!

JoJo had a recent thread on an exterior wall of a library.

I hope that PotterWatch comes back sometime and updates "My new lettuce gutters!" Others have shown a good deal of interest in this subject!

The photo shows a lot of concrete, tile work, and a great looong metal arbor but the concept of the short, sloping wall with stacked pots just seemed to make a vertical garden look do-able!

Steve

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Woah, this picture made me dizzy at first. I had to orient myself. What a neat idea though!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I had that at first also, Calendula!

It looked like a horizontal bench.

You can click the picture to go to the blog. The author might be a little dizzy also. Wonder where he/she got the picture. I didn't see anything about copyright but then, I was having some trouble getting my eyes focused there at first.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... that is fantastic, and almost amazing enough I would want to try it!

I've been trying to think of HOW I would and could plant on the roof of all things. Terrible roof to work with though... however the idea of the slant from the photo gives me MORE ideas. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very cool idea. Whenever, I see the vertical gardens, or roof, etc. it always looks like they are using them for succulents, etc, and not food. (One of the reasons I loved the gutters for lettuce idea.)
I have a slanted shelving unit in my greenhouse- and it was a pain. Watering on an angle, is kind of challenging.
Still, very interesting!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Watering containers is a pain!

I'm thinking a misting system and how that might work. Directly above the plants - maybe, if the upper plants don't shield the lower. One of those directional spike sprinkler in front might work . . .

My watering wand had a good mist setting but there I am ~ standing there holding it until my hand goes numb.

A drip system is certainly an answer and I'm reminded that drip systems - that I first became aware of anyway - were originally set up for larger container plants in greenhouses and nurseries.

Steve

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice, that thing best got an auto water system, or that'd be a pain to keep up with!

In the "heat" of summer, when it is 80 outside... my 4-5 gallon bucket tomatoes on a North facing balcony will drink a half gallon each... if there is a heat wave into the 90's, they drink a gallon a day and that is sometimes not enough!

Latest posts