Vertical Gardening-Strawberries

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Like your latest strawberry "post". Is that pipe capped at the bottom or is it open to soil? This might be a good application for a timer on your hose so it gets watered regularly. Good luck!

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@PhilaGardener it's not capped at the bottom. We sunk it into the dirt about a foot. Then filed it with dirt as we went to put the plants in. We don't have a timer on it. But, someone turns it on twice a day on a small trickle for at least 30 minutes. We are going to do 2 more in different setups and see which one works the best. I'm thinking a timer may get added to one to see how they do getting watered more frequently.

Yulan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a friend here in zone 5a who grows his in an old tree stump, I thought of trying to grow mine in a PVC pipe or even in a horizontal log hollowed out in the center? After reading this post i worry about the pvc conduit idea... Thoughts on my log idea?

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know why a hollowed out log wouldn't work. As long as you put some drainage holes in it. I'm no expert though.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a friend here in zone 5a who grows his in an old tree stump, I thought of trying to grow mine in a PVC pipe or even in a horizontal log hollowed out in the center? After reading this post i worry about the pvc conduit idea... Thoughts on my log idea?
I got a hollow log about 10 ft. long - 2ft diameter when it came floating down our seasonal creek. I didn't drill any drain holes,filled the hollow area with potting mix , planted it with a variety of plants , watered the plants about 1x / week in the summer/ fall, no water when in rainy season or still moist soil at other times ... worked great for the past 17 years as an ornamental in landscaping. :clap

Latest posts