Victorian remodel -- beauty or the beast?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are the tiles in fireplace orginal to the house. I would research them, one cold winter day when your bored. Some go for big bucks. Internet makes research a lot easlier then it used to be.
The green tiles in the parlor are all there. The brown ones in the living room are two tiles short. I don't remember what is on the mantels in the upstairs bedroom and play room.

I'll have to check them out sometime.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red I don't know if your son is still planning on changing glass in front door. I just bought a stained glass window painting kit on ebay for $21 with free shipping. If he does go with more energy saving glass, could still get the look of stained glass.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are the tiles in fireplace orginal to the house. I would research them, one cold winter day when your bored. Some go for big bucks. Internet makes research a lot easlier then it used to be.
@Nyboy, here are pics of the two first-floor fireplaces and tiles.
First from the parlor:
fireplace parlor.JPG
fireplace parlor tile.JPG
fireplace parlor tile hearth.JPG

A close-up of the tiles. . . . and a shot of the hearth tiles below the mantel.

Here is the living room fireplace and tiles. Didn't get the hearth here. It has an old trunk over it.
fireplace livingroom.JPG
fireplace tile Livingroom.JPG

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Red those are great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep checking ebay if you get lucky you will find replacements for missing. The red are roses , do you know what flower the green are? The builder of house must of loved gardening LOL.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red , I had a thought on your missing tiles... Perhaps you could take a mold of one of the others and have an artist who does ceramic pottery try to replicate them for you. I have used Sculpey Mold Maker polymer clay to reproduce fossils. It is very easy to use and captures all of the details.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Red those are great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep checking ebay if you get lucky you will find replacements for missing. The red are roses , do you know what flower the green are? The builder of house must of loved gardening LOL.
To me they look like wild roses -- check out the leaves -- with rose hips in and around the leaves.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red , I had a thought on your missing tiles... Perhaps you could take a mold of one of the others and have an artist who does ceramic pottery try to replicate them for you. I have used Sculpey Mold Maker polymer clay to reproduce fossils. It is very easy to use and captures all of the details.
That is a fantastic idea, @journey11. My DIL does clay work and I have access to have things fired at the school art room. Finding the right colors would be the problem. We have a ceramic (and materials) shop here that has a goodly supply of ceramic paints.

Oh, yes, I think I'll be off tomorrow checking things out. Replacement tiles would make a great Christmas gift! On the other hand. . . when DS learned how expensive individual tiles are, his first thought was to sell them and use the money to buy (or now make) other tiles.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a fantastic idea, @journey11. My DIL does clay work and I have access to have things fired at the school art room. Finding the right colors would be the problem. We have a ceramic (and materials) shop here that has a goodly supply of ceramic paints.

Oh, yes, I think I'll be off tomorrow checking things out. Replacement tiles would make a great Christmas gift! On the other hand. . . when DS learned how expensive individual tiles are, his first thought was to sell them and use the money to buy (or now make) other tiles.

Yeah, it would probably take some experimentation to get the right color. If I understand correctly, they use a combination of certain minerals to obtain the different colors of glaze and that they may start out looking one way and change their hue after being fired. Maybe your DIL would know what to do.

Latest posts