Victorian remodel -- beauty or the beast?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are the tiles in fireplace orginal to the house. I would research them, one cold winter day when your bored. Some go for big bucks. Internet makes research a lot easlier then it used to be.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow love the doors and ceiling!
Please don't tell me local yardsale finds.
It is unusual that such an old house -- and one that had been a two unit apartment building before we purchased it -- would have such fantastic wood trim. None of it had been painted! This is all Tupelo wood throughout the house. Haven't found a source for it yet. There are some places that will need new wood to replace damaged trim.

Okay, Nyboy. I won't tell you.

Son was raised here in the sticks and DIL was raised mostly in a small community near Lake Geneva, WI until her parents bought an old farm outside of Delavan where they still live. No family heirlooms. Nope, none.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Danes????
GREAT Danes
dog great dane.JPG

This is a picture taken the week they stayed at Grandma's house while their family went on vacation. For them, 30 acres to run in WAS a vacation! Oengus is the grey and Ellie is the black that son adopted after she was abused. He got her once the Humane Society had her weight back UP TO 60 pounds (or so). She is now a nicely filled out 105 pounds, while Oengus hits the scales at over 130.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are the tiles in fireplace orginal to the house. I would research them, one cold winter day when your bored. Some go for big bucks. Internet makes research a lot easlier then it used to be.
The tiles in the fireplaces are original although there are a couple of tiles missing in the living room fireplace.

Six fireplaces in all: two in the basement, two on the first floor and two on the second floor . . . all using the same two chimneys. . . one fireplace on top of another. It is the only house in the area with all its original chimneys

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red where the fireplaces the only way to heat the house? santa would have a ball with 6. Check out the tiles, some green pottery goes for thousands, A friend collects matt green pottery from turn of century, small fortune in his collecton.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red where the fireplaces the only way to heat the house? santa would have a ball with 6. Check out the tiles, some green pottery goes for thousands, A friend collects matt green pottery from turn of century, small fortune in his collecton.

I suspect they were for many years, not for wood, but for burning coal from the looks of them. There was also a wood burning stove in the kitchen at one time because the chimney from that is still there with its round plate over the flue opening.

Did 'ja notice the wood burner/heater in the corner of the parlor between the settee and the doors? They are wondering if they can fire that up for a bit of heat. . . there's lots of safety issues I'll be checking before I let my grandchildren be part of that experiment.