Virticillium Wilt

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
As some of you may have read that my garden was devistated by Verticillium Wilt last year. To read some of the latest research about this pathogen and is there a cure ...go to your library / google as most garden centers do not even know about it / won't say anything as they want to make a sale : " Verticillium Wilt in the Pacific Northwest" , by Jeremiah L.S Dung. Oregon State University , Jerry Weiland USDA- ARS - Horticultural Crops Research Lab. It is here, there, and everywhere in our soils so you may be affected and not even know it until too late. The short answer to cure it is NO ! You can control it / delay it by solarization and/ or fumigation, but that lasts only one year. Many of our crop plants as well as ornamentals ( as an example... I did some weeding in my back yard on Sat.. The azzalias looked good. During this afternoon Clark County's garden tour's inspection committee's tour , all of one of the azalia's leaves were drooping rather badly ) are affected and may die in a manner or days,or if caught in time and the affected part is cut out and disposed of the plant may live on or survive or be re- infected and then die. Unless purchased mulch is sterilized or you plant a plant that is infected you will just intensify the numbers of the pathogen and speed up the infection. I wish the best to one and all as this pathogen is something that you do NOT want to deal with . :old

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
you've had so many rains and challenging weather this season it is going to take a toll on things.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, the only thing I ever heard of verticillium on is tomatoes. That's horrible that it is spreading throughout your garden.
Good luck on getting it under control. :hugs

Latest posts