Volunteer Plant - Never seen them in our yard before. Growing fast

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yes its bad for cows and people but the cows wont eat it. it looks like its in the pasture? it needs eradicating. it does appear to be one of the nightshades or nightshade related. i would dig it all up. and when it comes back spray it with roundup. yes, i said roundup. if it has little cherry tomato like fruits that are yellow, they will come up all over the place.

ddawn

Sprout
Reaction score
Sure looks like the sunflowers that kept sprouting under my bird feeder, and yes, the feed had sunflower seeds in it. I just let them go where I didn't mow, and even got a few sunflowers out of it. But I am no botanist. I don't even have a green thumb; mine seems to be black....

m.holloway

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice!!!! I showed my hubby and we plan to burn and round it out. Mare

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, these sunflower type plants are growing all over... I just found one in the front yard now... and we've never seen them before.

I'm realizing now that my wife did have a bunch of birdfeed that was broken into by squirrels. I know the little buggers will hide walnuts, acorns, etc. around and that they will often sprout, but what about sunflower seeds. I would normally think they would be too small to even hide around, but the fact that these things are popping up all over the place makes me wonder how else they could be spread around so much.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:lol: I have these everywhere! Serves me right for using the chicken coop bedding as a mulch in between my rows. :rolleyes:

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nifty, we grow sunflowers for sale. You have a sunflower growing. Give it some water and stand back and enjoy the show. All parts of the sunflower are edible. Although I have only tried the seeds. The greens can be fed to the chickens. Our dog and rabbit like them too. You'll have to fight the birds, if you want any seeds come fall. :watering

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay, here's the update on my two sprouts... both pictured are growing like weeds. ;)

So, I've seen different types of sunflowers. The edible seed type that I see in fields have one main BIG HONKIN flower. These have lots of smaller flowers... a bit more like the decorative sun flowers I've seen before on the side of the highway / street.

Any thoughts?

2_sunflower-alana.jpg

This is the biggest / best growing one. Others are smaller and some have had a hard time with all the heat. :(

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not sure what type of sunflower that is . . . but the sprout in the front looks really cute to me. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I'm not sure what type of sunflower that is . . . but the sprout in the front looks really cute to me. :D
Agreed!!! :p

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
DrakeMaiden said:
Agreed!!! :p
It's a sunflower and I will agree that's the sprout in the front looks really cute too. :) And growing awfully fast!

Latest posts