Vote Here! ...pg 2 Everyone Welcome!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is my rose 'Barbara Streisand'.

The lighting is off because the sun is still low this morning. I also note the edges look burnt from the coolness or the daytime heat; but the eye does not see it only the camera, so again, this must be because of this morning's lighting. I can try again later if anyone likes.

2d6p2so.jpg

1gric2.jpg

2wmnyba.jpg

:rose

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great pictures Ron.

I never got into growing roses, I love the smell and looks.

Seems like all the places I go to do work The peoples Roses are real healthy or just about dead. Never any middle ground.

Is there a trick to them Ron?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie!,

I will put this here because I suspect you will look in on this post.

Remember back when I posted my baby roses by seed? There was one that was very delicate and pink, and you said it reminded you of 'Reine Victoria' http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=514

Well, it bloomed again this week. It is a much larger bloom this time and the petals are much more thickened and not so crepe paper-like.

I am going to have to come up with a name for this, because by all rights I should not call this 'Reine Victoria', any ideas? Oh, and it has a very lovely very well defined fragrance, not bathroomy, but fresh and spring-like.

sou7fl.jpg

I vote we name her 'Hattie's Parade'... of course the parade part will be when the bush is several season's old and covered in these blossoms. :rose

Ron

Here is what it looked like when it first bloomed:
os4zd5.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing - what a glorious color! Do you think it is possible to grow roses organically? I would so love to try. The very old climbing rose I have, looks gorgeous in bloom and then I watch every creature great and small eat the heck out of it!! I finally got smart and planted a butterfly bush in front of it. Works great- can't see the rose after it has been destroyed! I always think maybe I should try again- when I see your beautiful roses....Enjoy!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow lesa,

So your climber comes back full and strong every year and then is decimated by bugs and fails?

Well, 'organically' is a bit us isn't it? LOL Are you asking for advice on non-commercial fertilizing and non-chemical pesticides? Sure there are tons of products out there that are natural. I am sure a search engine would pop up several for us.

Myself I have used commercial fertilizers. I have used systemic food, but rarely if ever a topical pesticide; soap and water with lemon!. I use Epsom salts. I mulch and I add compost. I have been known to grab a rose by its collar and pull it up out of the ground and put it back! LOL ...a bit organic in respects.

Have you identified the specific culprit? Perhaps that is the direction to take. Several plants could companion your climber and provide a 'barrier' something like Tansy or a Chrysanthemum of a wilder nature. These would both contain natural pesticides.

Well, this would be a discussion in itself. I recommend the search engine on the internet for sources and recipes; otherwise it may just be that cultivar of Rose is susceptible to problems and the answer is a hardier more tolerant Rose. Some roses are better suited genetically for certain regions.

Thanks for talking about your rose though, can you share pictures perhaps; or maybe someone can help with the pests.

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Wow lesa,

So your climber comes back full and strong every year and then is decimated by bugs and fails?

Well, 'organically' is a bit us isn't it? LOL Are you asking for advice on non-commercial fertilizing and non-chemical pesticides? Sure there are tons of products out there that are natural. I am sure a search engine would pop up several for us.

Myself I have used commercial fertilizers. I have used systemic food, but rarely if ever a topical pesticide; soap and water with lemon!. I use Epsom salts. I mulch and I add compost. I have been known to grab a rose by its collar and pull it up out of the ground and put it back! LOL ...a bit organic in respects.

Have you identified the specific culprit? Perhaps that is the direction to take. Several plants could companion your climber and provide a 'barrier' something like Tansy or a Chrysanthemum of a wilder nature. These would both contain natural pesticides.

Well, this would be a discussion in itself. I recommend the search engine on the internet for sources and recipes; otherwise it may just be that cultivar of Rose is susceptible to problems and the answer is a hardier more tolerant Rose. Some roses are better suited genetically for certain regions.

Thanks for talking about your rose though, can you share pictures perhaps; or maybe someone can help with the pests.

Ron
That answered my question!
Thank you.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am sorry Joe, I did miss your question!

There are more variables than just what I typed. For instance, I do not have to worry about 'Black Spot' mildew, and very rarely do I see Powdery Mildew.

Surprisingly, Roses can be considered a 'temporary' plant in the gardenscape. Ever since the use of budgrafting to hardier rootstock for mass production the life expectancy of the rose was diminished drastically. Now in the garden a grafted specimen can be expected to only last 10-15 years maximum. Quite typically within the first several seasons the graft-site will create a slow chokehold on the plant itself. Some are lucky over time. They are simply a 'replaceable' in today's markets and society.

As for 'self rooted' roses, this is the direction we all should go. I personally visited a rose that was hand carried across the West in a covered wagon. Seriously. This rose was not some exquisite marvel, a simple white rose that was dated over 120 years ago. Amazing!

There is the story of the Lady Banks Rose http://wwwrockrose.blogspot.com/2009/03/lady-banks-rose.html

OK, so to answer you question as to why some look fantastic and then some look terrible is because once they do fail ....they fail, and oftentimes it is because of our 'production' methods. We need to change our paradigm by imagining growing them the right way...on their own roots. Walmarts Abound! uggh.

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Ron and no I thought you had covered it but the follow up was very enlighting!
My Mother in law has a rose she has grown for all Eby's life.

She does cuttings every year for folks, I was bad and some how let mine die over the winter.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there everyone! :frow

Hi Ron,
Your rose is just lovely! :love

I would call it "Heart's Delight"! That's because It gives a real lift to the day & it is a very romantic looking rose with a beautiful smell. I wish I was allowed to import one -- I would love it. "Reine Victoria is a difficult rose as the heads are too heavy for the stem, in my experience anyway, sothis would be better for me.

Good luck with your beautiful rose -- I hope she remains strong & healthy :clap Well done! :bouquet

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi lesa :frow

Try planting a lot of garlic & chives round the rose -- I have found that helps a lot too, Ron is right about the Epson salts. I am just about to experiment with Rockdust ; read about it here. :D

http://www.seercentre.org.uk/

I had a large sack of it delivered just the other day. I have heard from other gardeners over here that it has helped their plants so much, making them so healthy that they fight off the pest attacks -- so i thought I would give it a try.

Good luck! :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts