Want to move the compost bin.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Like most gardeners, who have compost piles, I have mine, now, located to the side of the garden. I got to thinking of how much, in nutrients, was being lost through leaching and am thinking about moving the bin to the center, or there bouts, of the garden as to take full advantage of this leaching....plus it would be very convienent at "cleanup time". Would lose a little growing space but I think the "trade off" would be worth it and I can always add on growing space to compensate for the loss.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you really think there is that much "drainage"? I have mine off in a corner and I can't say that I notice that the grass around it grows any better, than anywhere else in the lawn... On the other hand, no reason not to have it in the middle of the garden. My pile is not a thing of beauty- I wouldn't really want it as the center piece! Let us know how it goes!! Enjoy!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yea....EVERYTHING growing around my pile has gone "godzilla" on me. Thought about the visual effect and decided to plant lots of flowers around it to help minimize the sight of it. If'in I do move it (and that's just about a certainty), I will try to remember to post pre-flower and post-flower pics.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting- I wonder why you have so much drainage and I don't? Do you water yours a lot? I never water, just let nature do it- that could be a difference. Anyway, I love your idea of planting around it. Can't wait to see pics!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yea, I try to keep it, properly, moist and turned to get it to breakdown quickly (hot pile). Hahahaha...I'm glad that the grass, in the yard, don't grow as fast as the grass around the pile.(I hate cutting grass)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is it a free standing pile with barriers? Or is it in a drum of some sort? How would you go about moving it?

Mine is a double sided old tool box from my husband's old truck. I can move easily when I've used whats in it... its a bit too full to move myself now.

I also don't see much happening from any drainage from the bin?! I have some drainage holes in it anyways.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use pallets (the long ones) on three sides to keep the stuff corralled up. But I only use one pile and keep it turned....little harder than having the 2 or 3 pile system, but I ain't scared of a little bit of exercise. LOL

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Right now the pile is about 4' X 4' and about 4 1/2' hight. Not much happening, in it, during this cold weather.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not sure if this helps at all or is even on topic
mine drains leaches whatever you want to call it ..as well and for about two feet around it I have amazing lush thick bed of what I like to call plain old weeds :p I have tried to intentionally plant things there but no luck with anything except what I dont want to grow like the blasted buttercups!!! OMG they find the bin and thrive around it!!! and I have even tried to embrace them and pretend to lke them but those suckers send cast iron runners out that gove under up and around everything then the root OMG they go deep and are thick as a any pain in the @#$ weed!

so ...what I do when it gets to be too much I pick up the bin dig up all the buttercups I can ..put them in a black plastic bag in the sun (if we ever have sun) to cook them to death ..

and just leave all the compost for that round right there and move the bin to another spot ..then plant in the compost pile and call it a flower or vegetable bed

I rotate my compost bin about every 2 years or so to another place

spreading the wealth!

hope this helps or is even a little bit on topic!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good idea HiD,

When I move it, I'll put a board edging around the spot (a "faux" raised bed) and grow herbs and/or peppers...and use them leached nutrients.

Latest posts