Wanting more succulents?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Oddly enough, a good place to find them is the plant department of Kmart, Walmart, Roses, etc. There is almost always a set of shelves of tiny little succulents there. I think they're supposed to be easy 'give away' plants - like to take to the office, or to hospitals or something because they're usually in cute pots are are way overpriced. But that might be a place to search for them.
Hahaha... soon you will learn how CHEAP I am!

I so dig up trees and plants off the side of the road, I rummage through clearance, and I negotiate and trade (or accidently cut or dig up plants that look like they could really use a good splitting or trim... then I happen to root them and replant them on my property).

I sure to do enjoy making things happen on a budget. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
vfem said:
So anyone else want or have some succulents to trade?
OHHH :frow ME! PICK ME!!! I'd love some.
I'll take picts of what I have... not SURE what a couple of them are. Just these little things that have been growing in my kitchen window for YEARS.
That would be awesome! Plant sharing rocks!!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, I have a couple of the standard types. I'll try to get a picture of them next week to see if you like them.

Mary

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think I have any that dark. Mine are mostly green or have a reddish trim around the top of the leaf. I have pictures on my blog under the title "garden delights

ETA: Okay I feel dumb, I just looked at my blog and the picture on there is dark. They aren't that dark anymore though. I'll get new pictures asap.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HPQ, mine are more green then purple too. In the winter they turn that dark purple and by May or June they are mostly green. So I get to enjoy these all year round.

I did goto the nursery on Monday and they had a 50% off everything, so I picked up a couple of gorgeous succulents while I was there. They were almost sold out, so very little choice. I need to get pictures. I got 1 good size, ready to split plant... the other one needs some time to spread. :(

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had forgotten all about this thread.

These are two of the 'odd little things' growing in my kitchen window. The jade-type thing that looks like a tiny tree of Shrek's ears has 4 little pieces rooting right now..
The other darker plant has wicked sharp points - don't know what it is either, but everything in there is terribly root bound and in desperate need of splitting and re-potting (except the donkey, she's doing fine).

8721_dscf1195.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That red sharp leaved plant I sure think is an aloe.

Aloes come in so many more than aloe vera. Most of them are tougher and spinier, and more colorful. Some send up what looks like it'll be a flower, but develops a small plant on it instead, a spider plant trick.

I can look in my houseplant books for both of those...but you know what'll happen...it'd wind up being tomorrow before I look up again :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy, did it now!

The Crassulaceae succulents...

Greenovia, like miniature hen and chicks, closer to aeonium...tender to frost
Aeonium, grows tall...we had a purple form at the greenhouse, very tender
Monanthes, put their "chicks" up on stalks, tender, likes shade
Graptopetalum jewel leaf, some look like hen and chicks, others like donkey tail. close to echevaria and sedum, crosses.
Pachyveria, another cross! pachyphytum crosses with echeveria
Pachyphytum, all fat creamy waxy rosetted leaf. These things a dropped leaf will grow in a crack of asphalt!
Crassula, center of the family. 300 different kinds!
Watchchain zipper, green stem, modified stem is the leaf.
string of buttons, one of the drapers
Jade plant is one of the crassula. I only found one species, argentea.
Propellor plant, a crassula, small plant, big fat leaves
Sedum, stonecrop type, tough as nails hardy, will grow on mars...only exagerrating a little.
Sedum, sunglow type, tender larger flowered stonecrop
Jelly Bean! Those medium green hoseplants with lime jelly bean leaves that take root if they break off.
Burro's Tail, awesome draper!
Adromischus, all leaf, find the stem in there!
Navelwort, i guess very rare, wide round leaves central petiole

:)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh geez - Now you KNOW I'm going to have to print this out and google each one to see what it looks like, how it grows, if I want one ...
And THAT will lead to searches at the local greenhouses.....
I can't be doing all that this weekend!!! I've got to climb Mt Rotmore - again. :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 4 small pages of info about each one of them if you have any questions about any of them. That list is just the basics I gleaned to type up.

Oh, and these are just the crassulaceae family succulents. There are other families that have succulents too that I can find info on.

Latest posts