Wasp Sting

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH got wasp stung when he was outside. Now his hand is swollen and burning. I put some aloe with burn relief on it. I had him swallow a benadryl tablet and ice the sting. He just got a sting on his neck last week! Does anyone know something that works quick?

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had to ice the one I got yesterday. I forgot to take Benadryl, dummy. I wonder if some ibuprofen would help with the inflammation if you have an already done that of course. I haven't had one in years and it felt like a hot rusty needle poked me!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing hurts like a wasp sting. Sorry he got it twice. :( When we where kids Mom would mix some meat tenderizer with enough water to make a past and apply it. I recall it worked o.k.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deodorant?

I react quite a bit more to stings than DW and DD. I don't know where that puts me on the scale but I did have the pleasure ( :rolleyes: ) of proving DW wrong a couple of years ago on her contention that 2 stings at once would kill me.

The Benadryl is important and so is a topical antihistamine cream. I'm willing to take an OTC pain medicine and a nap.

Live and let live is my motto with bees after I learned that yellow jackets and other wasps can be garden beneficials by killing caterpillars and such. I can get along well with bees year after year but still accidentally get in trouble with them, now and then.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
An old treatment is to take a wad of tobacco, chew it up, and put that on the sting. It's supposed to take out the poison. Chewing tobacco, snuff, or tobacco from a cigarette is supposed to work.

When I was a teenager a neighbor broke his leg in a logging accident at tobacco harvest time. Relatives and neighbors gathered that Saturday to get his tobacco crop in. That's just what neighbors and relatives did. One of my jobs was to be about 25 to 30 feet up in the barn hanging the tobacco to dry. I managed to disturb a wasp nest and got stung on the back of the neck. It's amazing how fast you can get down from a spot like that when you are motivated. One of the men working there popped a dried leaf of tobacco in his mouth and started chewing. When it was wet he put that on the sting. I sat in the shade for a short while but it wasn't long before I was back up there hanging tobacco.

You find all kinds of wasp nests in those tobacco barns. You just hang tobacco around them to cover them up and they don't bother you. Obviously my technique was off that day.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandpa thought tobacco juice could cure anything. If you got a sting or cut, you ran because he was going to give you tobacco juice-use your imagination to figure out where it came from......

Tobacco juice is used on seeds today. Although a movement to outlaw.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deodorant?

Steve

Yes not sure how I started using deodorant help with the stinging, I might just think it helps lol. Bee stings don't really have any negative effects on me unless I get stung on the face or or other sensitive areas. My dad was allergic to bees and had to carry stuff with him in case he got stung. Also have a niece who is quite allergic to bees as well. I was raised around farmers , tobacco was used for a variety of different things lol. I think most Of the remedies didn't work.

Latest posts