Wasp Sting

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got stung the other day. I am not sure if it was a bee or wasp. I was hanging up clothes. Got stung on my hand. I put baking soda on it and it did not hurt. I read baking soda for bee stings and vinegar for wasps. The itching drove me nuts. I did not want to take Benadryl and be sleepy because I have to take care of DH. I bought a tube of After Bite, sort of helped the itch. My hand started aching after a couple of days and Tylenol took the pain away.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't been stung in a LONG time (Thank goodness!) but yesterday I was cleaning in the coop and saw one bumping around up in the rafters. I was right under it bent over picking up some eggs when something hit the back of my shirt. Oh my goodness - the crazy dance I did thinking that wasp was on my back!!! Turned out that it had knocked loose one of those 'gobs' of old cobwebs...
:rolleyes:

TheCuteOrpington

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't been stung in a LONG time (Thank goodness!) but yesterday I was cleaning in the coop and saw one bumping around up in the rafters. I was right under it bent over picking up some eggs when something hit the back of my shirt. Oh my goodness - the crazy dance I did thinking that wasp was on my back!!! Turned out that it had knocked loose one of those 'gobs' of old cobwebs...
:rolleyes:

In Iran there are ORIENTAL HORNETS!
They are 100x worse than wasps! I heard this guy got stung, got into a coma and died!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_hornet

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
For mosquito bites I use my own saliva and it takes the sting away. Saliva is the first to start the digestion process so it at least will sooth the stinging. Always with me and available as needed. Since I haven't had a bee, hornet, or wasp bite in decades, I can't vouch if saliva will work, but worth a try. Saliva is an ingredient of chewed tobacco afterall.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Hornet_vs_Wasp

hornet-nest-vs-wasp-larva.jpg

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Collector, Allergic like they would swell up or like they had trouble breathing?

My dad never swelled up from them except at the sting site. All the 35 years I knew him I only heard of him getting stung 2 and the second time I was there we were working on a job site when he was stung, he got to his lunch box and took his medicine. He wasn't feeling to good for awhile I offered to drive him home he said no and after 1 1/2 hrs he drove himself. He came to work the next day feeling ok. Our niece got her first sting at our house at our oldest daughters first birthday party. She within minutes swelled up until she was unrecognizable. I ran for a Benadryl and she took it we had to drive her three miles to the baseball field to get on lifeflight helicopter. It was pretty scary situation. She is 28 now and carries epi pen only Ben stung one time since then and had her shot with her. I don't see how people avoid getting stung, I get stung between 5-10 times per year :he.

Karen Reck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You can treat mild and moderate reactions to wasp stings at home. While treating your sting at home, you should:

1. Wash the sting area with soap and water to remove as much of the venom as possible.
  2. Apply a cold pack to the wound site to reduce swelling and pain.
  3. Keep the wound clean and dry to prevent infection.
  4. Cover with a bandage if desired.
Use hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion if itching or skin irritation becomes bothersome. Baking soda and colloidal oatmeal are soothing to the skin and can be used in the bath or through medicated skin creams.

Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen, can manage pain associated with wasp stings. Antihistamine drugs, including diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine, can reduce itching as well. Take all medications as directed to avoid potential side effects, such as stomach irritation or drowsiness.

You should also consider getting a tetanus shot within several days of the sting if you haven’t had a booster shot in the last 10 years. First aid differs based on what type of creature has bitten or stung you.

Severe reactions
Severe allergic reactions to wasp stings require immediate medical attention. If you have an EpiPen, administer it as soon as symptoms begin. If you have a history of wasp allergies, administer the EpiPen as soon as you are stung. Then call 911.

Treatment for severe allergic reactions to wasp stings can include:

• additional epinephrine to calm your immune system
  • cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if breathing has temporarily stopped
  • oxygen, steroids, or other medications to improve breathing

TheCuteOrpington

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can treat mild and moderate reactions to wasp stings at home. While treating your sting at home, you should:

1. Wash the sting area with soap and water to remove as much of the venom as possible.
  2. Apply a cold pack to the wound site to reduce swelling and pain.
  3. Keep the wound clean and dry to prevent infection.
  4. Cover with a bandage if desired.
Use hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion if itching or skin irritation becomes bothersome. Baking soda and colloidal oatmeal are soothing to the skin and can be used in the bath or through medicated skin creams.

Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen, can manage pain associated with wasp stings. Antihistamine drugs, including diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine, can reduce itching as well. Take all medications as directed to avoid potential side effects, such as stomach irritation or drowsiness.

You should also consider getting a tetanus shot within several days of the sting if you haven’t had a booster shot in the last 10 years. First aid differs based on what type of creature has bitten or stung you.

Severe reactions
Severe allergic reactions to wasp stings require immediate medical attention. If you have an EpiPen, administer it as soon as symptoms begin. If you have a history of wasp allergies, administer the EpiPen as soon as you are stung. Then call 911.

Treatment for severe allergic reactions to wasp stings can include:

• additional epinephrine to calm your immune system
  • cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if breathing has temporarily stopped
  • oxygen, steroids, or other medications to improve breathing

I'm quite impressed, did you post that all by yourself? I couldn't.

Latest posts