Waste on the Farm

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy No fences means more rows! Fences are not needed if there is no livestock in the fields. Field corn is edible when young enough. Just not as tender and flavorful as Sweet corn.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Few reasons the corn is left.

1). Too wet, why they started and quit.
2). As was mentioned, toxins.
3). If shucked back, are there kernels on the ears?
4). Crop insurance would require it to be harvested.
5). Some (very few) allow it to air dry for special uses as corn burners, better feed, etc.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Alex.
Been a long time long time. I am back in the area now. Working on the farm here again. I have not been that way in a while. But will find out. I do know it is for high moisture.. (Only use the cob) so it may be to wet to get off u till ground is frozen.. Many farms I know don't generally get it off until late.. Will go check it out..
Hoping you are well
RJ

On Sunday, January 3, 2016, wrote:
Hi, Alex weekender from T**** rd. Have a question you might know answer to. On Freedom plains there are 5 or 6 corn fields. The corn has never been harvested this year do you know why / Alex

--
Love our farmers, we work hard to please you!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since he only uses the cobs, he must ear pick?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We have 5 acres on the edge of our little 200 person town, westmost street, one neighbor north, one neighbor south, 5 (no, four--people foreclosed on the house across the street) neighbors across the street. Farm field over the fence to the west and south, owners in Arizona, planting, harvesting, etc., "farmed out." My good neighbor to the south chewed me out when I replaced my old fencing, because the new fenceline is 5 ft inside of my property line. He told me that the farmers will till and plant right up to the fence. HowEVER, saplings have grown up on other side of the fence. You know how it goes. If you cut them down, but don't kill them, they keep coming back from the stump. My plan? I have no intention of removing the stumps. That keeps them 4 feet west of my fencing.
We had a bad drought in 2012. Some of the corn just didn't make it, and some farmers baled it up for cattle fodder in big, round bales.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If we get another drought, don't expect them to bale stalks as farmers are losing $500/head in Midwest feeding cattle.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 5 acres on the edge of our little 200 person town, westmost street, one neighbor north, one neighbor south, 5 (no, four--people foreclosed on the house across the street) neighbors across the street. Farm field over the fence to the west and south, owners in Arizona, planting, harvesting, etc., "farmed out." My good neighbor to the south chewed me out when I replaced my old fencing, because the new fenceline is 5 ft inside of my property line. He told me that the farmers will till and plant right up to the fence. HowEVER, saplings have grown up on other side of the fence. You know how it goes. If you cut them down, but don't kill them, they keep coming back from the stump. My plan? I have no intention of removing the stumps. That keeps them 4 feet west of my fencing.
We had a bad drought in 2012. Some of the corn just didn't make it, and some farmers baled it up for cattle fodder in big, round bales.
I would make sure that you have PERMANENT PROPERTY LINE MARKERS ( steel property serveighers stakes imbedded in concrete ) defining your property line and NOT rely on your fence line. You see, many old legal property lines are described by fence lines, trees, rocks, etc. so after 7 years , your neighbors may be able to legally claim the 5' wide x length piece of land as theirs. Make sure to protect yourself and check your property deed and go from there. :old

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would make sure that you have PERMANENT PROPERTY LINE MARKERS ( steel property serveighers stakes imbedded in concrete ) defining your property line and NOT rely on your fence line. You see, many old legal property lines are described by fence lines, trees, rocks, etc. so after 7 years , your neighbors may be able to legally claim the 5' wide x length piece of land as theirs. Make sure to protect yourself and check your property deed and go from there. :old

Like Red's neighbors tried, case in point. @Smart Red , any new updates on that situation?

Latest posts