Watermelons

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@digitS'
What I would like seems to be mission impossible-5-10# size, sweet, red and not loaded with seeds.
Never tried these.....but just saw in the Geo. W Park catalog. Maybe worth a spot to try?
20200317_200835_Burst01.jpg
20200317_200857.jpg

The top picture is the Mambo.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS'
What I would like seems to be mission impossible-5-10# size, sweet, red and not loaded with seeds.

Well I'm not sure how to help. My Costa Rican Fine Rinds are small enough (in fact, at about 4oz apiece they might be too small) But I don't currently have enough seed to share and in any case they're quite seedy for their size.

I HEARD of a watermelon called Limbang midget that the Seed Zoo had when it was just starting up, and that was about 3 pounds, but that was already sold out by the time I found the Zoo.

Maybe Golden Midget (it's the rind that is golden, the meat is pink-red) that's about 3 pounds too.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a variety to grow that is sweet and not real seedy. I’ve grown sugar babies. Love the favor but way too many seeds. So give me some suggestions.
Mini Varieties of Watermelons. Mini, or personal watermelons, became very popular in the grocery store. they are my favorite.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mini Varieties of Watermelons. Mini, or personal watermelons, became very popular in the grocery store. they are my favorite.
Problem for us is that by the time we get a large one down, we are ready for a break and there 2-5 others ready to be picked.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what variety are you going to try and why?
This year am going with the cream of Saskatchewan watermelon. Did the black tail mountain last season and had only 2 edible melons from them and the size was small. I think we just haven’t found the best spot to plant melons in yet, been planting in the same spot last 2 years and haven’t had much luck. At our old house DW would plant icebox melons in large pots and we would harvest some every year, they haven’t done as well here though. Also the last couple of June’s haven’t been as warm as usual so they don’t get the real growing temps until later on. That may just be an excuse though lol. Always another seed to try when your looking for the magic combination.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Making order for them. I’m cheap and hate giving $1/seed. Priced higher than what your picture shows. Oh well, it is what it is. I’ll get over it. ;-)
WHAT?!. Park has been in business for over 150 years. They're a stand-up company. Do you refer to shipping costs included? Yeah, it's $3 whether you buy one pkg or a bunch. That sucks. But the base price is $3.50 for 10 of those melon seeds. They're not cheap but they're fair. That was from the 2020 catalog. If they charged more than $6.50 delivered, let more know. I'll drive over there and raise he//. They are only 20 miles from me. And I LOVE giving companies what for if they don't do what they say they'll do.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHAT?!. Park has been in business for over 150 years. They're a stand-up company. Do you refer to shipping costs included? Yeah, it's $3 whether you buy one pkg or a bunch. That sucks. But the base price is $3.50 for 10 of those melon seeds. They're not cheap but they're fair. That was from the 2020 catalog. If they charged more than $6.50 delivered, let more know. I'll drive over there and raise he//. They are only 20 miles from me. And I LOVE giving companies what for if they don't do what they say they'll do.
Not saying they aren’t a stand up company. Online catalog has them at $6 for 10 seeds plus shipping. I do have correct company? Again, my German/Swiss side (mother) is cheap......

8860630A-F768-458E-A71C-ACD318AF0F10.png

Last edited:

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not saying they aren’t a stand up company. Online catalog has them at $6 for 10 seeds plus shipping. I do have correct company? Again, my German/Swiss side (mother) is cheap......

View attachment 34701
I researched this further. The information I gave is from their 2020 catalog. Page 89. And you can see (from my posted picture) that the price is 3.50/pkg of 10 seeds. However, the same catalog, page 11 DOES list them as 5.95 for a pkg of 10.
I discovered this after business hours today. Tomorrow I intend to call them and inquire about this discrepancy. Anyone, even a large and venerable company can make a mistake, but should accept and honor that mistake. We'll see how Park's Seeds deals with this mistake.
I, too, am cheap. And $1/seed is excessive....but if it indeed produces the "mission impossible"....maybe worth it?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let me know. I need to add to this order. It’s just 10 seeds and I can afford that.

Latest posts