Watermelons

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a variety to grow that is sweet and not real seedy. I’ve grown sugar babies. Love the favor but way too many seeds. So give me some suggestions.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mean ol' Nawthurner……..pickin' on pore lil' watermelon seeds..... 🍉

I got a variety this year that, when ripe, the rind turns golden yellow. Don't know about the seeds. All the watermelons grown here have been volunteers from tossing rinds to the pigs or chickens. Since the vines want to grow so darn bad here, I thought this year, I'd actually plant some on purpose. Good luck finding a watermelon with few seeds.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a variety to grow that is sweet and not real seedy. I’ve grown sugar babies. Love the favor but way too many seeds. So give me some suggestions.
Same here, I would want to know the best kind of watermelon, the philippine kind is very sweet too. the con though, it si very seedy.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I got a variety this year that, when ripe, the rind turns golden yellow. Don't know about the seeds. All the watermelons grown here have been volunteers from tossing rinds to the pigs or chickens. Since the vines want to grow so darn bad here, I thought this year, I'd actually plant some on purpose. Good luck finding a watermelon with few seeds.

bay, I think i have that same variety...I am so excited to try it!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

Did read an article that said the seeds were the most nutritious part of a watermelon. Saw a variety on Bakers that does that. Complaint was, u guessed it, seedy. Almost Every variety, except seedless, that was the complaint. Seems like, the smaller the melon, the greater density of seeds.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have tried the seedless before< different colors> really not worth doing over again... doing my all around melon <crimson sweet > larger melon than sugar baby. c. sweet avg 15-25 lbs 85 dtm and s.baby 8-10 lbs 76 dtm so with a larger melon you can carve out more meat....

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was happy last year with my odd little baseball sized watermelon type. This year however I may try the Yamato Silver seed I got from Baker Creek. for some variety. Plus I am still convinced there is such a thing as a good white fleshed watermelon, maybe this is it.

I'd like to try an orange fleshed one one year, but the tree major ones (Virginia Tendersweet, Orangeglo, and Sweet Siberian) don't do well here.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve got a yellow variety that did well. If you want some seeds, think I still have some, wife won’t eat yellow. So looking for a smaller red watermelon. One I cat eat in one meal.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , have you ever tried "Yellow Doll"? Short DTM, 5-6 pound, good production, very thin rind, seldom cracks or has hollow heart - and has a fairly large seedless center. Although I prefer OP varieties, this is one hybrid I would recommend, I've had great results from it.

Oops we cross posted, I see you don't want yellow. "Blacktail Mountain" (OP) is another possibility. Even shorter DTM than Yellow Doll, red, very sweet, 5-6 pounds (larger some years), deep green & nearly spherical (they look like black cannonballs), but a little seedier than Yellow Doll.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blacktail Mountain was developed just a short few miles up the road from me. I haven't been able to get any ripe ones before the end of the season for some reason. The only thing I can figure was that summers must have been hotter when Glenn Downs lived here and bred it.

I should give it another try. It sure gets good reviews. Maybe some black plastic mulch would give it a kickstart.

I grew Sugarpot last year. Small vines, and about a 3 pound watermelon. They didn't quite ripen in time either. Maybe it's me.