Ways to Eat Eggplant

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just got two of these from my Uncle and don't have the slightest idea of what to do with them - they're the medium-sized standard types that you could easily find at the grocery store. Stir-fry? Bake? Grill? How do you use these?

And eggplants are good when they are glossy and black, right? Is it bad if they start to lose their gloss, start to become pale and slightly mushy?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO, I love eggplant. I occasionaly fry round slices but not too often since I try not to eat too many fried things. I sometimes grill it but usually take the easy way out. I just saute in a little olive oil or put it into a hash with sweet potatoes.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's two of my favorite eggplant recipes...Eggplant Stacks and Eggplant and Zucchini Gratin. Both are pretty simple to make. If I'm in a hurry to use one up, I'll just peel and dice it and use it in place of mushrooms in spaghetti and such. I've never made eggplant parmesan. Don't know why!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
eggplant Parmesan is good, although I like it best when eggplants are coated with bread crumbs and fried first. Can also nuke it, add onion, garlic, peppers, olive oil for dip. Add whatever flavors you like to dip

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peel, slice and put in cold water. Take each slice out, shake off excess water and roll in cornmeal. Fry in hot oil, sprinkle with salt. Grab the plate and RUN so you can eat it all!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eggplant with sweet potatoes?

I want sweet potatoes! Others may want a pony, bunnies - I want sweet potatoes!

I probably prepare eggplant parmesan like @seedcorn . It's an easy casserole, SeedO. Everything except the cheese is cooked before you put it together.

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love baba ganouj, a middle eastern dish.

Remove the stem ends and grill the eggplant whole until totally slumped. Grind a couple cloves of garlic in the cuisinart, add a few tablespoons tahini, and the juice of one lemon. It will make a thick paste, so thin it a little with water. Scoop out the eggplant and add it with salt and pepper, a little olive oil, some paprika or minced parsley if you have it.

Dip vegetables and bread into it. It's good with chopped raw onion on it, too.
Moussaka is another excellent eggplant dish!

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm with buckabucka. Baba Ganouj is wonderful! I also like the Italian Eggplant Salad from the Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook

Latest posts