Ways to Eat Eggplant

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just peel, slice into rounds, brush with good olive oil and grill until soft/translucent. Best with the long oriental eggplants, but fine with other varieties.

Reading all the recommendations above makes me hungry :drool

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love baba ganouj, a middle eastern dish.

Remove the stem ends and grill the eggplant whole until totally slumped. Grind a couple cloves of garlic in the cuisinart, add a few tablespoons tahini, and the juice of one lemon. It will make a thick paste, so thin it a little with water. Scoop out the eggplant and add it with salt and pepper, a little olive oil, some paprika or minced parsley if you have it.

Dip vegetables and bread into it. It's good with chopped raw onion on it, too.
Moussaka is another excellent eggplant dish!

Sounds very much like how I make hummus...except it's eggplant. I will have to try that. :)

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is a like hummus, although not as thick.

The first time I had baba ganouj was in grade school. We were a meat and potatoes/canned soup for lunch type of family and we walked home for lunch on school days. My neighbor girlfriend invited me to her house for lunch one day.

Her dad had just made baba ganouj. We ate it in big pita bread (I'd never even seen bread like that!). We put big pieces of raw onion on top and squeezed fresh lemon all over it. It was scrumptious!

I was very excited to tell my mom all about my lunch when I returned home that day. "What did it taste like?", she asked. I had no words to describe it, but recalling the grayish color, I replied, "it tastes kind of like ashes". :p

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I remembered I found this recipe for gluten free chocolate cake that uses about 14oz of the stuff:

Chocolate-almond cake

400g/14.2oz eggplant, pricked all over with a fork

400g/14.2oz dark chocolate (70% cacao), broken into small pieces

50g/1.76oz good quality cacao

60g/2.12oz ground almonds

3 eggs

200g/7.05oz raw honey

10ml (2 teaspoons) gluten free baking powder

2ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt

10ml (2 teaspoon) brandy

Pre-heat oven to 180*C/356*F

Prepare 2 small bread pans or one large cake pan and sprinkle some cacao in the bottom.

Cook eggplant in microwave oven for ± 15 minutes or until completely soft. Puree in food processor until smooth.

Add chocolate and mix until chocolate's melted.

Add rest of ingredients and mix well.

Pour into pan(s) and bake for 30 minutes.

Let it cool down in the pan(s) for for 15 minutes before removing from pans. Sprinkle more cacao over before dishing up.

Latest posts