We Almost Lost Parker

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our neighbor has an adult yellow lab that eats rocks. She sent me a picture of one that he had puked up and it was as big as her palm.
Crazy dog. He's been to the vet numerous times, and the vet had recommended they have a muzzle put on him because it's just a matter of time before a rock kills him.
What makes a dog eat a rock?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our nedescighbor has an adult yellow lab that eats rocks. She sent me a picture of one that he had puked up and it was as big as her palm.
Crazy dog. He's been to the vet numerous times, and the vet had recommended they have a muzzle put on him because it's just a matter of time before a rock kills him. What makes a dog eat a rock?
One of our friends was a well known horse breeder. She had about a dozen nondiscript "rescue " dogs. One of them was quite large . He would bark at every car that drove up their long gravel driveway. Then, as the people would get out of their car, this dog would grab a rock , run in a few circles, then proceed to swallow it. Then do it again a few more times. This dog had quite a few surgeries to remove rocks that didn't pass. What she paid to the Vet. for surgeries in one year, she could have purchased and have paid for free and clear a dually pick up truck. :eek:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Parker is home! He was crying with excitement when he saw us. How do you explain to a dog that Mommy and Daddy will come back to get him? Poor boy, he probably thought we had abandoned him. He came through surgery with flying colors, will have to take his meds and eat only canned dog food (he sure will like that)! He has to go back on the 30th to get staples out. In the meantime, we will have to try to keep this livewire calm and as inactive as possible....... :fl The vet said he could go to Tractor Supply in answer to my question of When? So we drove to Mineola to TSC and let him look at everything. We bought dog food and came home. When we got off the highway, we rolled down the window so he could smell along the way. I sat in the back seat with him and he tried to get his whole body in my lap. When we got close to home, he started whining.

DH put Trip on the porch so Parker could go pee without getting tackled by his buddy in LET'S PLAY!! Trip was so excited to see him, he was shaking! Both Trip and Polly sniffed my jeans for the scent of their friend. For awhile we will have to put Trip up while we take Parker out to potty, he just won't understand that he can't body slam his best buddy. We are so excited and happy to have our boy home!

DH called the vet to the side and gave him a $100 dollar bill. He told him to buy everybody's lunch. Our vet was astonished and tried to not take it, but DH insisted. He saved our Parker's life!

This makes twice Parker has lost his nuts........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

hickory-nut-jpg.26917

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When reading Great Dane and throwing up my first thought was bloat. Everybody who owns a giant size dog should read up on systems of bloat. If dog is bloating and not given surgery it will die. Anyone spaying a giant dog should have the stomach stapled at same time. Dry dogfood should be soaked in water before feeding. Dogs should not have excise after eating. Dogs should not be able to drink large amounts of water at one time. Everyone with a giant should study up on bloat, might save your dogs life.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
He is a silly dog. He actually plays hide n' seek with our oldest grand daughter. I make him sit, I cover his eyes with my hands and start counting. He gets all excited and tries to peek, it's so funny. Then the "ready or not, here he comes!" And he takes off to go find her. Never had a dog that plays hide n' seek!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a gem! So glad he's o.k. :)

Latest posts