We Got A New Horse!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting @bobm never heard that before. Might have to try that. Right now he has that rough coat of a wormy horse. He's been wormed and was wormed again several days prior to delivery. Now it is just feed him good and get him healthy. Today he got beet shreds with his feed. I'm feeding him twice a day versus the once a day the other freeloaders get. LOL

He is friendly, but doesn't know to come when called. He's learning. I gave him a good scratching today and he walked forward so I could scratch his withers, LOL

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay ... to get the best results, you have to start feeding the paprika when the horse starts to grow it's winter coat in the fall so that the new entire spring hair follicles' color is enhanced. The more intense color enhansement works only forthose chestnut horses that carry the liver chestnut genes. This treatment also intensifies a black horse's coat to be more intense black. If your horse carries the liver chestnut gene, start feeding the paprika asap as the treatment will intensify the color, but not to it's full effect. Have FUN with it ! :ya

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got a new horse. I've been looking of and on for 2 years for a dead-head broke super gentle small horse for the grand daughters. Found one.

He is 13 hands, sorrel with 4 stockings and a blaze face. He is around 8 years old. He is skinny and needs some weight put on him, but we've been down this road before and we know what to do. The lady we bought him from bought him out of a kill pen. Her 2 girls could crawl all over him, slide off his butt, slide down his neck, ride him in the round pen or on the trail. He is a follower, slightly barn sour, but I know what to do about that too. He doesn't seem to be fazed by anything. The chickens fluttering around and the sheep didn't make him bat an eyelash. He is friendly, good natured and gentle.

Of course, in the back of my mind is the possibility that a couple of hundred pounds might bring out a more spirited animal or help him discover an ornery streak, but I don't think so. At 13 hands, he is big enough for me to ride him and straighten him out if needed.

The lady we bought him from called him Canyon. He will get a new name. We'll let our 9 year old grand daughter do the honors.

We fed him-just a little. We'll gradually build up the amount he gets. I don't want him to founder switching feeds or get too much at one time. He has been munching on hay, grazing and trotting around. He will lead a soft life here. @Nyboy-here he is!

new-horse-jpg.27129
I want the same kind. I have seen advertised ones as you have bought. Most are around $6000. Too rich for my blood.My husband says to save a lot of money and just take them for a trail ride now and then.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
D'awww!!! Soo Sweet!! He doesn't look like a hard keeper, but you already know that more hay will put the weight on best. Had to mention it. Some sweet feed at the end of the day is a great way to get him to come to you as a habit. @catjac1975, that $6k is cheaper than an ER trip and a dead broke and sound kid's horse is worth it. It's just that nobody wants to pay it for a shorter horse that isn't flashy. They are WORTH their weight in gold, IMHO.
I do the same thing with my halters, not fully buckle them, in case you need to get them off fast.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @bobm ! That does sound like fun! @catjac1975 We have an old pure white cremello gelding that has 2 speeds-slow and stop! He is worth his weight in gold to me and is the love of my life. He's turning 28 in March and I just don't think he will live through all 3 grand daughters. Every time I see him laying down all stretched out, my first thought is that he's dead. Scares me, why can't he just prop against a tree and sleep standing up? LOL We bought Joe for $734 when he was 7 years old, skinny, neglected and needing TLC. Nearly 21 years later, he still is the sweet, gentle horse that stole my heart so many years ago. So I have been looking for another gentle soul like him. We are delighted to find this little gelding.

@ducks4you he has unlimited hay, all he wants. This afternoon when I gave him more hay, he stood there for a couple of hours, just eating all he could. I think he is going to be one pretty horse when he gets fattened up. I never turn a horse out with a halter on and hate seeing them out in pastures with halters on. And you are right, sometimes you have to get the halter off NOW! LOL

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @bobm ! That does sound like fun! @catjac1975 We have an old pure white cremello gelding that has 2 speeds-slow and stop! He is worth his weight in gold to me and is the love of my life. He's turning 28 in March and I just don't think he will live through all 3 grand daughters. Every time I see him laying down all stretched out, my first thought is that he's dead. Scares me, why can't he just prop against a tree and sleep standing up? LOL We bought Joe for $734 when he was 7 years old, skinny, neglected and needing TLC. Nearly 21 years later, he still is the sweet, gentle horse that stole my heart so many years ago. So I have been looking for another gentle soul like him. We are delighted to find this little gelding.

@ducks4you he has unlimited hay, all he wants. This afternoon when I gave him more hay, he stood there for a couple of hours, just eating all he could. I think he is going to be one pretty horse when he gets fattened up. I never turn a horse out with a halter on and hate seeing them out in pastures with halters on. And you are right, sometimes you have to get the halter off NOW! LOL
All of my horses have laid in the sun like they are dead. It is scary when they get old.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting @bobm never heard that before. Might have to try that. Right now he has that rough coat of a wormy horse. He's been wormed and was wormed again several days prior to delivery. Now it is just feed him good and get him healthy. Today he got beet shreds with his feed. I'm feeding him twice a day versus the once a day the other freeloaders get. LOL

He is friendly, but doesn't know to come when called. He's learning. I gave him a good scratching today and he walked forward so I could scratch his withers, LOL
I click the feed bucket loudly 3 times every time I feed. This trains them really fast. My horse comes running. If he is far away I whistle loudly. I did not know about a rough coat being that of a wormy horse. Why does that happen? Is is a specific worm? I buy what I call "Wormer for dummies." It is a yearly 6 pack that suggests when to give which wormer. Has always worked for me.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
D'awww!!! Soo Sweet!! He doesn't look like a hard keeper, but you already know that more hay will put the weight on best. Had to mention it. Some sweet feed at the end of the day is a great way to get him to come to you as a habit. @catjac1975, that $6k is cheaper than an ER trip and a dead broke and sound kid's horse is worth it. It's just that nobody wants to pay it for a shorter horse that isn't flashy. They are WORTH their weight in gold, IMHO.
I do the same thing with my halters, not fully buckle them, in case you need to get them off fast.
I would buy it in a minute if I had the money. My neighbor is a horse expert. I have her looking for one for me.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The latest update on horse deworming is to have your Vet do a fecal exam on each horse. Some horses have a natural defense against parasites and carry a smaller load, others do not. Your Vet can identify which is which for you for a nominal fee. I, personally, like to rotate dewormer chemicals. IF your new horse carries a large amount of parasites it is Possible that you could have an impaction. From your pictures I just think that he has some parasites and has been on a lousy diet of poor hay/and/or somebody counting flakes bc of cost. I count flakes and have been wondering if my horses could lose a little bit of weight.
And, of course, you want to remove manure where your horse eats so that he does not reinjest them. THAT is why people pile up their horse's manure, to create the heat it takes to kill the parasite eggs and larvae.
When it is hot and DRY and when it is cold and DRY you can spread it out and the parasites will die bc of lack of moisture.

Latest posts