We Got A New Horse!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The latest update on horse deworming is to have your Vet do a fecal exam on each horse. Some horses have a natural defense against parasites and carry a smaller load, others do not. Your Vet can identify which is which for you for a nominal fee. I, personally, like to rotate dewormer chemicals. IF your new horse carries a large amount of parasites it is Possible that you could have an impaction. From your pictures I just think that he has some parasites and has been on a lousy diet of poor hay/and/or somebody counting flakes bc of cost. I count flakes and have been wondering if my horses could lose a little bit of weight.
And, of course, you want to remove manure where your horse eats so that he does not reinjest them. THAT is why people pile up their horse's manure, to create the heat it takes to kill the parasite eggs and larvae.
When it is hot and DRY and when it is cold and DRY you can spread it out and the parasites will die bc of lack of moisture.
I was told that 30 years ago by my vet. He found no worms and the horse began to colic repeatedly. Another vet said they made too much manure and that the sample may be devoid of worms even though the horse had them. Once he was wormed regularly the colicking stopped. I have never had any of my next 4 horses ever colick with bi monthly worming. They are also out in the pasture most of the time with being stalled only in bad weather.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay do you ride your mule ?
Just sold her. He's coming to pick her up on Sunday. I've been considering it for some time. She wants to stomp everything that is not a horse. I have to keep the dogs away, can't have a barn cat, no chickens in the barn to scratch apart all that horse manure, plus she stalks the chickens, dogs, and sheep from her side of the fence. if any of them ever got in the pasture with her, she'd stomp them to death. I've even seen her chase deer at our previous property. I want to be able to let my dogs hang out with me at the barn. We leave them in the house when we do anything in the barn because they will dig under the gate to be with us.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your Texas cats must be stupid. Our cats get away from our family dog that loves to chase them. If they stop, he stops and wonders why did you quit running-great game.....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your Texas cats must be stupid. Our cats get away from our family dog that loves to chase them. If they stop, he stops and wonders why did you quit running-great game.....
A couple of our dogs are cat killers. The first night Paris was here, she killed a Tom that, out of all the thousands of acres available for him to roam on, he just HAD to come into her little backyard. Maybe we do have dumb cats....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
More photos more photos

I went out and got a couple of pictures. It was hard to get one of his face, he is so friendly that he kept walking up to me. I got a good close up of his nostrils. LOL Haha, just noticed the wood chipper trucks are in the top left corner!

New horse 2.JPG

I took a picture of his other side. He has remnants of what must have been a beautiful mane. The lady we bought him from said it was real long, but another horse chewed it off. :he

new horse 3.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
He is going to be handsome with a little TLC and he will get that in spades where he is now. :) Will the mane grow back?

Latest posts