weather prediction.?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't seen a wooly bear yet. I'm hoping for a milder, snowier winter, myself. Milder around here means zero or above. I really hate those sub-zero days with wind chills that would frighten an Inuit into staying home. The only thing worse is mild enough to ice everything. I can dress for the worst cold, but ice means dangerous driving conditions for everyone.
DITTO - kind what I have in mind. Well maybe less snow! and NO ICE>

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farmers and the aquatic system need the snow. I don't! Still, I don't wish to be overly selfish and wish for another winter like we had in 2012. Zone 7 temps all but three nights. Unfortunately, that winter led to a serious drought the following summer. Nope, I am hoping for "Normal". That's good enough for me.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, if you don't have them already, you might want to get some of those cleat sole grippers. They are great for walking on ice or frozen solid snow. I just keep them by the back door hanging on a nail.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First Wooly Bear seen here today Sept. 30th.
DSCN6944.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrharctia_isabella

For us the farmer's almanac predicts....
Annual Weather Summary: November 2016 to October 2017
Winter will be colder than normal, with above-normal precipitation and snowfall. The coldest periods will be in early and mid- to late December and mid- to late January, with the snowiest periods in early and mid-December and mid-January.

April and May will have near-normal temperatures and below-normal precipitation.

Summer will be warmer than normal, with the hottest periods in late June, late July, and early August. Rainfall will be near normal in the east and above normal in the west.

September and October will be cooler and slightly rainier than normal.

Our last two winters have been very mild for the most part without any snow. I put the no snow bit down to the ergonomic auxiliary handle I bought three years ago after shoveling and shoveling and more shoveling snow that year. Thought it would make the job easier, have yet to try it out.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5551430?Ntt=the+heft

We do get a 'real' winter here some years, I look at these pictures every once in awhile when I get too smug, brings me down a peg or two.
DSCN1395.JPG DSCN1331.JPG
DSCN1398.JPG DSCN5021.JPG
Not looking forward to another one like this, maybe I should invest in a snow blower just to be on the safe side :). Just the thought of shoveling makes my back ache :(.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight , your three month weather forecast might be the same as here locally.

The US Weather Service couldn't evenly divide it much better than they have: below normal/normal/below normal = each 30+ percent!

Shoot. They always know better than I do but I'd guess that near-normal might be safest. Or, at least, not extreme. Still, it's better to be prepared and since shoveling the snow is about 50% of my winter exercise, I'm thinking it's time to buy a better shovel and a can of non-stick Pam. Now, if I can just stick Pam with shoveling ;).

Steve
Edit:
Oops! ~ belownormal/normal/above normal = each 30+ percent!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ok, just looked at the Farmer's Almanac predictions for this winter. Above average precipitation makes sense for us. We almost had record rainfall last July and haven't had many breaks from the rain this year, so why not expect more snow? :idunnoWe kinda live in a snow drought area. The Almanac puts Indianpolis and US on the same zone, but they get lake effect and We DON'T. Go figure It should make it warmer for my animals, too. I already have 450 bales of hay in the loft, and I'll pick up all of the straw that I need by Thanksgiving. I pretty much fixed the "lake" in front of my horse's shelter. The roofers didn't reattach the gutter from the south side of the barn roof, so it was leaking in front of the shelter and the gutter that hangs on the overhang at the entrance is "just for show". NO WONDER that I had up to 3 feet of water at the entrance. I saw a giant vet bill in my future! I hired some help, we fixed That gutter by reattaching it, cleaned out all of bedding that had worked it's way into this puddle (~ 12 x 12 ft.), then added 3,000 pounds of sand and almost all of the 9 ton of limestone that I had delivered. We left a pile of the limestone next to the shelter, in case it should sink, but I'm thinking THAT isn't gonna happen. My help finished with the limestone and then drove the tractor over it to strip the shelter and it didn't sink Then. Plus I put two 4 x 6 mats at the entrance to redistribute their weight and nothing has sunk. I botched my chick incubation last month, but DH and I decided to try one last time this year, so we should have chicks by the middle/end of this month, especially since HE wanted to be in charge of it. AS SOON AS we have the incubator/egg turner full I am harvesting my three rotten, dark cornish roosters. One of them stabbed me when I was putting out feed two days ago! It was all I could do to NOT step on him once I had him in the net! :somad Then I can start winterizing the coop for the hens, who will have to make it through one more winter before they are replaced. They are 2yo and 3yo hens, which I didn't plan for. :\ I am hoping to move the 5 arbor vitae that are 5-6 ft tall, started from 12 inches years ago out to be a wind block behind the shelter and barn. They were free, the roots aren't deep and so it's worth it to dig them up and move them later this month. Plus they are now shading my garden beds.
The ONLY thing that I really wish I had was a tractor. STILL, I have a great snow blower, and that will fun to use...once. :cool:
I bought two 3/4" thick rubber mats (4 x 6) for my barn at $20.00/each. They had to do a rain check, but I still get the rebate price and I haven't seen that price since the last millenia.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our nearest official weather station reported a low temperature of 41* last night ... while at our house 1 miles away we had FROST on the pumpkin. :th

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last three nights it's been below 40º, last night it went down to 33º the lowest so far, turned the heater on in the greenhouse to keep it around 40º. Right now it's set to go on at midnight and off at 8am. It's supposed to start raining today so it'll warm up a bit.

Annette

Latest posts