Weather Where You Are

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is cold here, but not bad. The wind is still and the sun is shining, and it is a whole 11 degrees out. I am about to go out and run errands for the day, including taking the dog to be groomed. He has absolutely loved this weather the past few days. Gets so excited to go out, the colder the better.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Typical winter here, rain came last weekend, then froze the clay. The snow hits Iowa, the snow hits Peoria, the snow hits Indianapolis, but we sit here, a winter desert to snow, frozen landscape that thaws to mud every few days.

it has been on and off again here too. right now we have some snow cover, but not that much. a few warm days and some rain and it will be gone again. we're due for a mix coming up so we'll see how it goes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seemed to me to be a most unusual January.

But ... I don't know ... the month exited with a howling windstorm. Some trees blew down. There has been a lot worse winds here but the Weather Service must have been very busy with forecasting and all that they didn't have much to say about the preceding month. I guess that I was a little busy, too. Yesterday, I was in and out shoveling some snow. This morning, I checked on what the WS had to say about January.

The unusual statistical nature of the month was how many days of recorded precipitation - 2nd most in about 130 years. For all you in wetter parts of the world, 3+" wouldn't have meant much. It's appreciated by me for the higher elevation snow pack but 3+" isn't even all that much for January locally. Above average ... What was different were all those drizzly days.

What did that mean other than the recorded inches? Clouds. We had zero sunny days out of 31!!! Oh, we saw the sun a few times - mostly as a hazy orb behind the gray clouds. Thirty-one days ... ya know, up here further north than any point in Maine, where there is almost exactly 16 hours of darkness on the longest winter night.

Sun doesn't come up, Sun doesn't come out ... Good Goobily Goop -- can't imagine how i got myself in such a place! We had like 2 sunny days after the wind blew January away. It was like instant joy!

Steve
now, at least, the landscape is covered with white snow again

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' yeah, what you describe of January and clouds is normal for us. if and when it does clear up in a normal winter means it is cold, but not this year much at all. we had some nice days this past week, up into the 40s. not normal late Jan or early Feb temperatures.

last night we finally had a little snow to cover the ground again, but we're not due to get a lot of snow from this storm. likely it will be melted off this week.

Latest posts