Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
45mph wind gusts, yesterday.

Will there ever be a spring day without too much wind? The hoophouse was absolute chaos. I was afraid to allow any ventilation. A mystery how the plastic film holds together and doesn't just rip, tear and blow away ...

I'm a fair weather gardener. Maybe today I can load the rototiller and go to the distant garden. With almost zero rain, I should get some water on the pea bed. DW wants to go shopping, I know. Since any venturing away from home is a major event and a trip to a grocery store has happened only once a week ... Maybe, the weather gods will allow for another quiet day, soon.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
things would get blown away here it being so open to the elements. we do finally have some protective trees growing around the property line, but i'd still not want a plastic film greenhouse/tunnel.

the forecast rain last night turned into about a dozen drops. :( rain and warm enough in the forecast the rest of this week starting tonight so i am going to risk planting some of the peas. not the whole bunch of seeds, but divide them into fourths and only plant one round at first. next week i will put in the second batch if the forecast remains good. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just have that hoophouse held down with baling twine over the top, bricks & rocks along both sides, and the lathe tacked down on the door and window frames.

It's never completely pulled loose on the sides altho I add a long board when it's real windy. It's never even torn ... and I'm using 4mil because 6mil was hard to find. 4mil works!

The advantage it has is that it's 1 foot from the south side of the greenhouse/sunshade, only about 8' from the 6' board backfence, and about 3' from the carport. Only the east side is open and we seldom have strong winds (coming downhill from the Rockies).

That fragile thing has collapsed 3 times under the snow. I decided that it was too risky to put it up very early in March.

Steve :idunno
should also say that it's only 5' tall with an excavated path so that I can stand up in there. i'd be happy if it was 4' & a deeper path ;)

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've got another one heading out way tonight. Calling for 70+ mph winds, hail, rain and moderate risk for tornadoes. It was slight risk, but they upped us with the evening news.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
.5” last night with another one on its way. I’d like a nice 7-14 day window so farmers can plant...evidently that is asking for too much. & farm equipment gets larger and more expensive because of small windows.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We could use some moisture!

Screenshot_2020-05-03-16-43-52_kindlephoto-3876653.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
cold back in the forecast for this coming week. a few nights freezing or below. i guess i will see if pea sprouts happen and if they can survive what Momma Nature throws at them or not. which is why i knew going in that i'd be spacing my plantings out in case this first one doesn't work...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Froze outdoors this morning. But, what do I see when I check the remote thermometer?

IMG_20200504_090752_01_01~2.jpg

Luckily, Toby Thermometer is in the kitchen and was showing a responsible 59°f.

Steve
clock is always wrong on Taylor Thermometer

Edit: those are the thermometers for the greenhouse, I neglected to say

Last edited:

Latest posts