Weather Where You Are

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today we’ve got highs in the 70s. Friday it’s supposed to get chilly again. Lows around 26. Cold but not anything like anyone else is having. We’ve got chances of some sort of frozen precipitation from Friday on but they’ve been changing the forecast literally every 30 minutes to an hour. When I got up at 6 it said we would only have freezing rain Monday. At 7 it said freezing rain Saturday snow on Monday and freezing rain Tuesday. Now its 8 and it says snow on Tuesday only.
:barnie

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Texas is getting another winter blast!

32* this morning with a high of 41*. Going downhill from there, low of 27*the next 2 nights, Sunday a low of 19*, Monday a low of 10* and several days of not getting above freezing. That means a whole lot of work twice a day to keep water for the animals. Boo. We won't see sunshine until Friday the 19th. We have several days predicted of wintery mix, meaning ice and snow. We may even get down into single digits.

I have two lamb bottle babies, I put them in the barn in a pen during the day, probably will keep them in the house during this cold. They will miss their exercise, guess I need to get them some diapers so they can run around in the house. They are in a dog crate with XXL puppy pads. Gosh, those adorable tiny lambs sure can pee out gallons! Where does it all come from???

Whine, moan, complain.......... we already had our snow event! Now we get ANOTHER one, plus more than a WEEK of freezing weather! PHOOEY!
Sorry I laughed. I will trade you weather. Yours sounds downright toasty! We have had plenty of snow and predictions are for 1 to 3 inch every day this week on top of sub zero nights and days that might reach the single digits! I say PHOOEY too. Sorry about the extra chores in this. :( I feel bad for farmers and anyone that has to work out in it. Two nights ago Son and the LGVFD responded to a house fire at 10 p.m. and where on site until 4 a.m. UGH

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
they’ve been changing the forecast literally every 30 minutes to an hour.
One of our TV weather forecasters is showing two different models. The two models aren't close to agreeing on what will happen all the way down here. One model shows it getting well below freezing with a very slight chance of some frozen stuff. It probably doesn't last long enough to really threaten pipes but I'll make sure my hoses are drained really well and probably will wrap some outside spigots. Normal precautions.

The other model shows it getting down to freezing but only for a couple of hours. Nothing slick and solid. No real threats. I'm going to wait until it gets closer to decide whether to cover plants or not. What I have should be able to take a light freeze.

Are you getting forecasts from different sources? They may be relying on different models.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One of our TV weather forecasters is showing two different models. The two models aren't close to agreeing on what will happen all the way down here. One model shows it getting well below freezing with a very slight chance of some frozen stuff. It probably doesn't last long enough to really threaten pipes but I'll make sure my hoses are drained really well and probably will wrap some outside spigots. Normal precautions.

The other model shows it getting down to freezing but only for a couple of hours. Nothing slick and solid. No real threats. I'm going to wait until it gets closer to decide whether to cover plants or not. What I have should be able to take a light freeze.

Are you getting forecasts from different sources? They may be relying on different models.
The one that keeps changing is all from the same source. I also use forecasts from the local station which is the main one I rely on. The local forecasters are a lot better about simply saying “We don’t know yet”. It’s nearly impossible to correctly predict winter weather here so I do try to remember to give the forecasters some grace.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score

Our local news channel will show 2 or 3 different models days before. They are usually very different! By the day before they kind of meet somewhere in the middle.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry I laughed. I will trade you weather. Yours sounds downright toasty! We have had plenty of snow and predictions are for 1 to 3 inch every day this week on top of sub zero nights and days that might reach the single digits! I say PHOOEY too. Sorry about the extra chores in this. :( I feel bad for farmers and anyone that has to work out in it. Two nights ago Son and the LGVFD responded to a house fire at 10 p.m. and where on site until 4 a.m. UGH
Go ahead and laugh, I don't mind. I'd go nuts in your winters. You'd probably have a heat stroke here, LOL. Because we have such mild winters with very little really cold weather, there are no snow plows, they send out trucks to put sand on the main roads, that's about all. I don't have heated water buckets, nor a heated hose. The good part is severe cold seldom lasts more that a few days, we are getting a week or more. So I'll go out twice a day to bust ice or take buckets of boiling hot water to melt ice so the fogs, chickens, sheep, horses and the steer can get a drink. I'll feed a little extra and make sure the animals have plenty of hay.

I did buy diapers for the lambs. They don't stay on real well, so I wrapped the poor things in blue painter's tape. They chased me around the kitchen, we made laps. They ran back to their dog crate to pee, but the diapers worked! Yay! I ran them around until they were exhausted. I'll feed them again at 9:30 and they will be quiet all night until they hear us in the morning, Then the starving lambs yell until I get their bottles ready. I'm having fun.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two nights ago Son and the LGVFD responded to a house fire at 10 p.m. and where on site until 4 a.m. UGH
Really bad time to be a fire fighter, wet + sub-zero is a formula for frostbite. I hope your son is OK. Chances are there will be more fires before this arctic blast is over, everybody with a wood stove or fireplace is probably using them now... I know I am. :(

Latest posts