Weather Where You Are

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've noticed that in my local forecasts. More often than not, the temperatures & conditions they predict are worse than what we actually experience. That could be the result of an intentional "fudge factor" to make the weather look better than expected, thereby making the forecaster look good. It's better to give the worst-case scenario - and let the viewers be pleasantly surprised - than to under-estimate the severity of those conditions & be blamed for the consequences.

Or, it could be that they are just predicting the worst possible conditions for the broadcast area. Those conditions can vary widely. I know that if I look up my forecast by zip code, it returns the results for the local metro area, which is close to the lake; cooler in summer, and 1-2 degrees warmer in winter. By the same token, the temperature in my rural garden - surrounded by mostly open space - is a few degrees cooler (or a few degrees warmer in Summer). My suburban gardens generally escape the first frost in the rural garden, and often the frost which strikes my home doesn't make it to DD's home, a couple blocks from the lake. For all intents & purposes, the city, my suburban home, and my rural garden are in 3 different climate zones - all within an area 10 miles wide.

We've already had 5 straight days of sub-zero nights, with another 5 days of that to go (and a really cold upcoming weekend).
We are having pretty much the same weather as you. A long COLD stretch! Spring can not come soon enough this year.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it has been sunny almost every day this week so far and today, even if it started with some light snow, we went out and shovelled to get the driveway cleared before Mom went off on her errands and now the sun has melted any remaining bits of snow away.

to me that is a much nicer way of doing things than having to deal with the ice and having to worry about putting salt or sand down.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule what is this about lambs and diapers?! why?
I had two ewes both have triplets the same night. One ewe, Eve (born on New Year's Eve) totally rejected one of her lambs. I don't know if maybe she forgot about him while she birth the other two, or the dog licked it, or what happened, but she did NOT want him. The other ewe, Miranda, wanted all her babies, but one was so small and weak that she couldn't suck. Miranda's teat is big and fat with milk and the runt lamb couldn't get her mouth over it. Both were cold.

I rigged up a half of a dog house with a heating pad and towels. Then I draped a towel over it, put the cold lambs in and turned on a hair dryer I placed in there. I got them both toasty warm. Then I had to tie the ewes and get the babies to nurse so they could get their colostrum, first milk with antibodies, without which, they will die. I spent the whole day, going from one ewe to the other, making sure the two babies could nurse. That evening I took them in the house and bottle fed them. If I had left them in the barn, they would not have made the night. When our week of below freezing weather is over, I'll start putting them in the barn during the day so they can be with the other lambs to run and play. I'll take their bottles to them and feed them there, and bring them in a night. Right now, the difference in temperature between the warm house and frigid barn would probably give them pneumonia.

1613230358941.png

My lambing thread on BYH

(1) Baymule’s 2021 Lambing | BackYardHerds - Goats, Horses, Sheep, Pigs & more

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The lambs are 10 days old today. They stay in a dog crate. I put a towel in the tray and XXL puppy pads over the towel. I change out the puppy pads several times daily and the towel once or twice daily. In the evenings, after I come in from chores, I diaper them up and let them run. They put EVERYTHING in their little mouths. They love to chew shoes. They are so darn cute!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miss google assistant says the high will be 60 with a low of 41(above). She also tells me cumulonimbus clouds are her favorite, and it will be partly cloudy with them.

I ask her how's the weather in twin bridges, and she tells me it's a bone chilling minus 9 degrees and windy, making it feel like minus 30.

Latest posts