Weather Where You Are

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Must be the same system hitting us in eastern Iowa. UGH. This week looks to be brutal. COLD.:eek:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I told DW that we were going to pay a price for our warm December...

Saturday morning was -23 F., and we never got above 0. It only reached low single digit temps today. Big snow storm on the way, expected to begin late tonight... then more sub-zero temps in mid-week. Forecast has us getting below -20 again, probably close to -25. Winters like this are the reason I laugh at those who say our hardiness zones have changed. Can't wait to see what Febrrrrruary brings. (this is is not a happy dance, its me trying to stay warm :weee)
I guess I better not complain that it's cold out here when it's in the high 50's.

Mary

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I better not complain that it's cold out here when it's in the high 50's.

Mary
Had a chance to experience your weather first hand in the 80's. My family & I lived in San Jose for three years, and gardened near East Palo Alto, next to the creek (I think it was Steven's Creek?). We almost bought a home just outside Santa Cruz, built on stilts over a hillside; but plans changed, and we moved out of the area. That turned out to be fortunate - because the hillside the house was built over was actually the San Andreas fault! :ep

We moved in '87, and the big earthquake (centered near Santa Cruz) happened in '89. Chances are the home we backed out of is no longer there. Every place has its own burdens, and its own advantages... I'm just thankful we moved when we did. Cold weather, as annoying as it is, is just a minor nuisance by comparison.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We moved in '87, and the big earthquake (centered near Santa Cruz) happened in '89. Chances are the home we backed out of is no longer there. Every place has its own burdens, and its own advantages... I'm just thankful we moved when we did. Cold weather, as annoying as it is, is just a minor nuisance by comparison.

i'll take this over hurricanes any time...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend posted this to her facebook page today, I guess I am not the only one annoyed with this winter!
"Snow! Snow! Go away! And don't come back!" I shout & pray!
"You're no longer fun for me! In fact, you are quite irking me!"
"Go back to where you blew in from, my nose is cold my fingers numb!"
"I've had enough! I've had my fill, of shoveling your drifts & hills!"
"Take with you your bitter cold! Your visit here is getting old"
"Be gone! Cruel Snow! Be gone, cold blast! You're only welcome in my past!"

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's pretty out there! i'm glad to see the snow. i may also be the last person in the midwest who thinks this (but so far this year we've not really had that much snow here at all). :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's pretty out there! i'm glad to see the snow. i may also be the last person in the midwest who thinks this (but so far this year we've not really had that much snow here at all). :)
That was us last winter. So.... Be careful what you wish for o_O

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a chance to experience your weather first hand in the 80's. My family & I lived in San Jose for three years, and gardened near East Palo Alto, next to the creek (I think it was Steven's Creek?). We almost bought a home just outside Santa Cruz, built on stilts over a hillside; but plans changed, and we moved out of the area. That turned out to be fortunate - because the hillside the house was built over was actually the San Andreas fault! :ep

I was there for the North Ridge earthquake. I'm so glad I moved! Of course, now I'm at the foot of a volcano, but at least I'm not directly in the lahar path.

Latest posts