Weather Where You Are

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The weather here has been terrible. Snow, then heavy rain, a quick drop in temps to freeze the slush/puddles - then more snow, and high winds. Really bad road conditions, the frozen slush (snowcrete?) won't plow off now & side streets are so bumpy they feel like driving off road.

We made the national news - and not in a good way. Snow driven over Highway 41 by high winds caused whiteout conditions, and led to the biggest chain-reaction accident in Wisconsin history... 131 vehicles involved. The freeway was closed for Mass Casualty operations, and took a day to clear. This occurred about 1/4 mile from my job, we can see that part of the freeway from outside. The depth of the devastation is numbing; even today, on my way home, I still saw a lot of debris in the snow banks for over 1/2 a mile. Most of the vehicles involved were totaled, and are currently impounded pending the crash investigation.There is traffic video that indicated a reckless driver (or drivers) trying to pass in unsafe conditions probably sparked the whole thing. Wisconsin drivers should know better; one dead & many injured because of their stupidity. :somad
It isn't just in bad weather. I was headed south towards a local town on a rural highway that often has a lot of traffic, M-F, morning and evening. This was midday, low traffic. I am driving towards the town, somebody in a truck pulls out to turn south in front of me, IGNORED the stop sign, NOBODY WAS BEHIND ME and that driver could See That!!!!
DH wonders why I have road rage. :somad:somad:somad

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I just changed the oil in the snowblower ~ calls for 5W20 ~ I was surprised at the viscosity of 5W at this temperature ( thicker than I expected )~ I just put a thermometer out ~ went down to 43 degrees F ~ not sure I believe it ~ maybe ~ the sun just came out ```

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It isn't just in bad weather. I was headed south towards a local town on a rural highway that often has a lot of traffic, M-F, morning and evening. This was midday, low traffic. I am driving towards the town, somebody in a truck pulls out to turn south in front of me, IGNORED the stop sign, NOBODY WAS BEHIND ME and that driver could See That!!!!
DH wonders why I have road rage. :somad:somad:somad

some people don't even look. i almost broadsided an older lady who came up to a stop sign and then proceeded without looking. i made the choice of taking the ditch in an instant and went right around her. did not flip the car, did not lose control, was able to pull the rear wheels back out of the ditch and go right around her. at one point i was 90 degrees and looking right at her as i went around. every time i drive that road now i remember that.

i will not relate my many near smash events as a truck driver for the family business. people would pull out in front of me quite often that i made a habit of slowing down any time i saw a car approaching from a side road or driveway. better safe than dead.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just changed the oil in the snowblower ~ calls for 5W20 ~ I was surprised at the viscosity of 5W at this temperature ( thicker than I expected )~ I just put a thermometer out ~ went down to 43 degrees F ~ not sure I believe it ~ maybe ~ the sun just came out ```

looks like you are still getting a bit of snow. perhaps by this time you can put some
big half-barrels down and sled through those like a bobsled team and give up on snow blowing... yikes! i'm expecting Oroville reservoir to pop 100-200,000af with tomorrow's report. Shasta too. we'll see, i just checked and it doesn't look like Oro is picking up as much as i thought yet, holding fairly steady on inflow rate. so up higher is colder than it looks. Shasta is picking up 5Kaf/hr and increasing rate of inflow still.

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Oregon is in shut down mode. We got 3 - 4 inches on the Valley floor and then of course power goes out, since trees fall from the weight of the snow. There are no local snow plows, but the State did dispatch some to the I5 corridor in the middle of the night. Regardless, the traffic was backed up for miles thru Grants Pass on the freeway due to the sheer amount of snow. All schools are closed within 100 miles circumference of me.

Don't laugh at 3 - 4 inches. It simply rarely snows that much so there is nothing available to deal with it. Kroger sent out an email says that they are delaying opening today so employees can be careful about getting to work. Dutch Bros coffee kiosks are all closed. I was going to leave tomorrow to go down to San Jose for a few days. Hope this white stuff melts by then. I don't have chains for my wee little Toyota.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in SW Washington, we had a powdered sugar dusting of snow between 5-6am this morning ... all roads are clear and merely damp ( NO black ice) so all schools and many offices are on a 2 hour delay. :idunno

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
More snow here for the next couple days.
I took this pic yesterday when I was delivering rock to one of our job sites o n CDA Lake.
5C5A9ADA-8A01-4BDA-92DF-5B23807EE732.jpeg

Never open the honey bucket door when the snowplow is going by lol.