Weather Where You Are

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Opened both ends of the garden adjacent to the house today. The deer will get in there, but - and I may never say this again - they are the least of my worries. The Zebrina mallow is the only thing still green, they love the stuff, and are welcome to it. (I'm rewarding them for not eating DW's hosta this year).

Weather is my nemesis this year, and unlike most other garden problems, there is just no way around it. The record wet weather continues uninterupted, with no end in sight. My garlic is still unplanted, and will probably remain that way, since I am unable to prepare a bed anywhere... so it looks like I will be dehydrating the lot. I'm a persistent gardener, and don't give up easily; but replenishing garlic stock is expensive, and I can't justify replacing 18 varieties for the 4th time. I'm done with garlic. :( Hard to believe that I once considered it to be a trouble-free crop.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Opened both ends of the garden adjacent to the house today. The deer will get in there, but - and I may never say this again - they are the least of my worries. The Zebrina mallow is the only thing still green, they love the stuff, and are welcome to it. (I'm rewarding them for not eating DW's hosta this year).

Weather is my nemesis this year, and unlike most other garden problems, there is just no way around it. The record wet weather continues uninterupted, with no end in sight. My garlic is still unplanted, and will probably remain that way, since I am unable to prepare a bed anywhere... so it looks like I will be dehydrating the lot. I'm a persistent gardener, and don't give up easily; but replenishing garlic stock is expensive, and I can't justify replacing 18 varieties for the 4th time. I'm done with garlic. :( Hard to believe that I once considered it to be a trouble-free crop.

it really is @Zeedman, i'm not sure why you won't get out there and put a raised row in and plant it perched like i do. that works well for me even in the heavy soil we have here...

don't give up. you only need a clear few hours and a shovel.

i've had two unexpected days of being able to get outside and i see some more are in the forecast this week. two days at least with no rain. i hope at least one of those will work for you. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
it really is @Zeedman, i'm not sure why you won't get out there and put a raised row in and plant it perched like i do. that works well for me even in the heavy soil we have here...

don't give up. you only need a clear few hours and a shovel.
(added emphasis mine) I'm afraid it would take much more than that. 18 varieties, which is generally a 70-80 foot row at least two feet wide. Assuming I had the lumber for such an undertaking (I don't) I would still need several cubic yards of dry soil to fill it - and much more than a couple hours. In the muck, with an injured knee... more time, money, and pain than I am prepared to expend in such an undertaking.

I had intended to hill up the existing soil using my tiller, as I did last year... but have been unable to dig all summer!!! :mad: We are literally in the worst stretch of wet weather on record, the normal rules don't apply. I was fortunate to get ANYTHING planted this year, and that was because my gardens at home have slightly better drainage. While those gardens are about 1600 square feet, they are still too small, and too valuable for food & seed production, to dedicate much space to garlic.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman

if they are commonly available garlics i guess it happens that someone would stop growing them but they'd still be available elsewheres. if any of them are unique though perhaps it would be worth just planting a few cloves here or there of just those to keep them going until they can be rehomed? you don't need a huge row or long line, just a few spots of open soil to hill up a little and poke 'em in there.

also if they are all pretty unique maybe the people i sent some of my garlic to would want them (i can ask them if you'd like or give them your e-mail address).

sorry about the injury, i didn't know you were fighting that kind of issue too. :hugs

Last edited:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Our local Target has snow shovels! :ep Is there something going on that I don't know? :oops:

For those of you that don't know, our winters are very mild. Usually around 62* daytime temps and 50* night time.

Mary
Hi Mary
Well, we'r planing to have it snow a goodly amount down there from now on ~ would you like that ```

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was a beautiful day. Sunshine and comfortable in a sweatshirt. A friend and I even got a ride in. The trails were golden with tamarack needles.

Same here, though your day sounds MUCH more fun than mine was, Thistle! Lovely day, got a good bit of work done and am now ready for the snow we will be getting next week. Got lots of stuff needing done in the house, so being snow and rain bound inside by the warm fire sounds lovely.

Latest posts