Weather Where You Are

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same here, though your day sounds MUCH more fun than mine was, Thistle! Lovely day, got a good bit of work done and am now ready for the snow we will be getting next week. Got lots of stuff needing done in the house, so being snow and rain bound inside by the warm fire sounds lovely.
Bee, the difference between you and Thistle is that you already got a lot done before that snow comes. Knowing Thistle she's been loafing and still has lots of outdoor projects to do before she hunkers down. 😝
Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Our local Target has snow shovels! :ep Is there something going on that I don't know? :oops:

For those of you that don't know, our winters are very mild. Usually around 62* daytime temps and 50* night time.

Mary
IF you buy a plastic show shovel, SOMEbody will bang it on the ice and crack it. ALWAYS buy metal. Telling tales out of school, but I had two ergonomic (the bent handled ones) snow shovels. I had kept them at the place I used to keep my horses and had owned them for several years. I was careful with them and they worked fine for years.
The year we moved, DH and DD went out to shovel, banged them on the ice and after ONE USE, both were cracked and trashed. WHAT a waste!!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, the difference between you and Thistle is that you already got a lot done before that snow comes. Knowing Thistle she's been loafing and still has lots of outdoor projects to do before she hunkers down. 😝
Mary

I beg your pardon Princess Mary! I am caught up, (...except for cutting down the perennials in the front bed :plbb)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our local Target has snow shovels! :ep Is there something going on that I don't know? :oops:

For those of you that don't know, our winters are very mild. Usually around 62* daytime temps and 50* night time.

Mary

Mary, those are called teaspoons. You must have been in the cutlery aisle.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we're discussing snow shovel preferences, I prefer a good plastic shovel. We have both, but the problem with the metal ones is the snow sticking to them. A good fling and the snow stays on half the time. Of course there are good and bad of both varieties, we have a trio of plastic ones that were bought in '07 that are still in very good shape, and a few bought last year that have cracked at the head/handle junction.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF you buy a plastic show shovel, SOMEbody will bang it on the ice and crack it. ALWAYS buy metal. Telling tales out of school, but I had two ergonomic (the bent handled ones) snow shovels. I had kept them at the place I used to keep my horses and had owned them for several years. I was careful with them and they worked fine for years.
The year we moved, DH and DD went out to shovel, banged them on the ice and after ONE USE, both were cracked and trashed. WHAT a waste!!!

yes! which is why i have two metal shovels. one which doesn't get used often, but in case i do need it at least it is there. we have two plastic shovels. one which is broken but still works enough that we'll use it until it gives out completely.

for ice i use my flat bladed shovel to scrape off any compacted snow hopefully before it gets run over enough to turn it into ice. this saves us from having to use salt. if we get it shovelled so the sun can get at the pavement then that will usually work to burn off or melt any remaining snow or ice. except when it gets really cold out. then we hibernate or at least i do. i try to wait until a storm is completely done before shovelling because the wind can fill it back in as fast as i can move it out.

that all said, i have broken my metal shovel and handles on other shovels. i've also broken a heavy duty 4 tined fork that was supposed to be able to stand up to the heavy clay within 5 minutes of trying to get some potatoes dug up out back. the last time we put in potatoes we put them in front instead where we have some sandier soil and those were not so bad to lift (i didn't even have to get involved :) ). unfortunately some critter found and ate lots of them so Mom said why bother growing them. i agreed with her. i like potatoes, but not nearly as much as i like sweet potatoes or beans or other vegetables.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If YOU use them, fine, but people that don't shovel will do the same thing that everybody does to screwdrivers, using them for other purposes and ruining them.

No worries about anybody sneaking over and abusing our snow shovels. Unfortunately.
And I never abuse a screwdriver. I have knives for that, haha!

Latest posts