Weather Where You Are

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're supposed to get some strong winds out of that system when it blows through here later this afternoon with maybe 0.3" of rain around dark. It should be over before midnight. I'm hoping some of that rain is locally heavier, at least here. Don't want local flooding but could use some rain.

The weekend should be nice, Highs in the mid 70's and lows upper 50's. I'm not going to look ahead much further than that around here.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Tonight we get 31 degrees F from 4-6AM. :barnie
Now, I am happy that I didn't get my garden fully planted yet.
I am NOT worried about the potatoes that are up, or the 4 Brussels Sprouts that I transplanted.
I Hope to get the spinach that I hardened off in their prepped bed today, and I intend to cover them with plastic tonight.
If I can't get that done, I will put them in their contained with the plastic lid until tomorrow.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Low of 28. 31 @ 8AM. This what beans look like.

006B4C26-5EEC-44B6-9C0D-16A42018ECD7.jpegAF985E61-31AB-4C88-BE0D-994DFAEE13BD.jpeg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well let me tell you about the weather here in Vermont! Last night and today, May 8-9, this is what it looks like. (It's not melting today.) :

LastNightSnow8May2020a.JPG

This is the 3rd cold spring in a row now with temperatures so low that nothing germinates. Even my lettuce (a cold weather crop) planted in containers on my front porch failed to sprout this year. Last summer a lot of the nurseries and organic farms in my area had to re-plant a lot of their crops for the same reason. I have officially given up on starting plants from seed in containers early. From this point onward I am planting everything outside on June 1st and seeing what has time to grow and what doesn't. Along with the cold spring weather, our first frosts seem to be coming later, so probably all will be well with my new gardening plan.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well let me tell you about the weather here in Vermont! Last night and today, May 8-9, this is what it looks like. (It's not melting today.) :

View attachment 35489

This is the 3rd cold spring in a row now with temperatures so low that nothing germinates. Even my lettuce (a cold weather crop) planted in containers on my front porch failed to sprout this year. Last summer a lot of the nurseries and organic farms in my area had to re-plant a lot of their crops for the same reason. I have officially given up on starting plants from seed in containers early. From this point onward I am planting everything outside on June 1st and seeing what has time to grow and what doesn't. Along with the cold spring weather, our first frosts seem to be coming later, so probably all will be well with my new gardening plan.
Ouch!

Latest posts