Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was looking at weather maps and thinking of how hot it is in the middle of the US. Maybe it will help some of you to think of someplace cool. I used to mention Stanley Idaho, way up there in the Sawtooth Mountains. They have had earthquakes there recently. I imagine that any attention, favorable or otherwise, would not be appreciated as much as to be just left alone, to quiet down - no more earthquakes!

Let me tell you about my own backyard. I just came in from hanging 3 loads of laundry out. It was 50°f (10°c) when I started before 7am. The afternoon high is expected to be 75° (24°c). That's what it was yesterday afternoon but there were high wind gusts and a sprinkle of rain - not a day for laundry on the line.

Cool enuf? Emptying each basket, it was nice coming back into the house. But, neighboring communities were even cooler. Out where I used to live (and garden), the morning low was 43° (6°c) and in a nearby town where I once thought to move with retirement, it was 39° (4°c). 😬

I could mention down in @Rhodie Ranch 's neck of the woods. Well actually, on the other side of the Cascades from her home. They had the recent "lowest in the contiguous 48 states" low - well below freezing. I checked on Crater Lake National Park, in that neighborhood. No, they still haven't cleared all the snow from the road that circles the lake but expect to, any day!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, how about this:

craterlakenpvincewarrensmall_1.jpg

That's Wizard Island and teletransporting is possible to there from anywhere on Earth.

digitS'

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's been rain or drizzling most of this afternoon and a lot cooler. Such a relief after the burning heat we have had.

Sorry @ducks4you . Hope it gets a little cooler for you soon.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just looked at today's forecast. High expected 92* F (33* C), cloud cover in the teens so a nice bright sunny day. Due point 76* F which translates into a relative humidity of 60% at that time. Wind 7 mph. This works out to a "feels like" of 105* F (40.5* C). At 8:00 this morning it's only 81 with a humidity of 90% and a feels like of 91.

We just finished a rainy few days which had kept it a bit cooler, highs were only in the upper 80's. No rain is forecast for the next 7 days so these conditions will continue. The highest forecast fells like is 108* F but that's a few days out on Sunday. Things can change.

The average high for July 9 is 91 so these conditions aren't that unusual. But usually we have a chance at an afternoon shower to cool things off for a bit.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just looked at today's forecast. High expected 92* F (33* C), cloud cover in the teens so a nice bright sunny day. Due point 76* F which translates into a relative humidity of 60% at that time. Wind 7 mph. This works out to a "feels like" of 105* F (40.5* C). At 8:00 this morning it's only 81 with a humidity of 90% and a feels like of 91.

We just finished a rainy few days which had kept it a bit cooler, highs were only in the upper 80's. No rain is forecast for the next 7 days so these conditions will continue. The highest forecast fells like is 108* F but that's a few days out on Sunday. Things can change.

The average high for July 9 is 91 so these conditions aren't that unusual. But usually we have a chance at an afternoon shower to cool things off for a bit.
You Southerners!!! :th:th:th

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

Oddly enough, that is nearly identical to the conditions up here for the last week. Couldn't get as much work done in the garden as I would like, because we aren't used to such temperatures here - specially for such an extended period.

Most of the thunderstorms that have popped up in the state have missed us, until today. A large slow-moving storm cell gave us several rounds of rain today, about 3" so far, and still raining as I type this. @flowerbug , I seem to recall that you wanted some rain? This might all be headed your way... be careful what you wish for. I hope those dams were repaired.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a really lovely start to a day here and reading at 13. All the filthy looking sky we have had has cleared and doesn't feel humid at all.

Fingers crossed that @flowerbug is going to be ok. He's is a treasure too me already with his direction on planting and sweet nature

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oddly enough, that is nearly identical to the conditions up here for the last week. Couldn't get as much work done in the garden as I would like, because we aren't used to such temperatures here - specially for such an extended period.

Most of the thunderstorms that have popped up in the state have missed us, until today. A large slow-moving storm cell gave us several rounds of rain today, about 3" so far, and still raining as I type this. @flowerbug , I seem to recall that you wanted some rain? This might all be headed your way... be careful what you wish for. I hope those dams were repaired.

no, those dams aren't changed at all yet that i know of, they're talking several hundred million to replace them. which sounds really expensive for a pair of small earth fill dams, but we'll see what happens... also, there is some talk of not replacing them at all, but i suspect the people who lived on those lakes will want the lakes back and be willing to pay something for that to happen.

we did get some rains yesterday, i'm not sure of last night because i slept like a rock. when i go out this morning and check/cleanout/refill the birdbaths i'll have a better sense of what we got from these storms.

i did see that storm on the radar as it was starting to head over Lake Michigan and hoped it got to us. slept through whatever happened. :)

ah, looks like we'll get some more rain today. nice! :) i guess i won't bother checking the rain guage or the birdbath this morning. high of 86F today in the forecast. i don't think i'll be doing any weeding or much of anything outside. which is perfect. i need a rain day and am glad to have it. since i went to the library yesterday i have a book to finish reading. :) :) :)