Weather Where You Are

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is beautiful here too. I actually hate this part of the summer, when the sun and the heat and the humidity and the bugs make me depressed, so I am overjoyed at this cool streak. I am getting the same kind of weather as Carol Dee, which is unheard of in Illinois for this time of year.

Right now it's cloudy, 80 degrees, and sprinkling rain.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See, it ain't the heat, it's the humidity. While it was above 100° and on its way to 104 yesterday, the humidity was between 22% and 14%.

ho ho haw ha ha !

I'd slap my knee but I'm afraid I'd shatter like a fragile ceramic.

brittle digitS'
who remembers @Ridgerunner explaining something about dew point but i missed the point

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dew point is the temperature when humidity hits 100%. The air can't get any cooler than that unless it loses moisture. It's a measure of how much moisture is in the air.

Tomorrow morning the temperature and dew point will be the same. That means humidity will be 100%. It's forecast to be like that for about 4 hours so I expect a really heavy dew.

My humidity will go from 57% to 100% in a little over 12 hours. with that much change ho much does humidity tell you? With a 76* dew point I know if I go outside I'll be sweating a lot. The feels like tomorrow morning will only be in the low 80's, quite nice.

Ridgerunner, who gets nosebleed in low humidity.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if I don't have quite a few problems from low humidity but they are minor. Things like being susceptible to minor skin rashes, dry eyes, a few others.

It may have become something that I've become used to.

I spent some time a few hundred miles SE of you, @Ridgerunner . It was so humid at times on the Texas coast that I would have been much more comfortable with no clothes! I grew up in a mountain valley that is only about 50 miles in places from the Pacific. Moved and lived on that ocean for several years. In that location I could see the water from my front yard :). I had some problems with chronic bronchitis there and hated the constant wind. It was seldom very warm, however.

Oh, I'm smelling smoke this afternoon ---- oh, no!

Steve, maturing to jerky

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had LOVELY weather for the past few days and for the foreseeable future. Days in the mid to upper 70's and nights in the upper 50's can it really be August in IOWA! i am not complaining at all

it is raining buckets today, another week i won't need to water by the looks of it, even temperatures in the mid 70sF in the forecast.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
few hundred miles SE of you,
Uh. That coastal Texas was SW of Louisiana 🙄 . Well, it did occur to me that I also spent time in Florida ... but, I couldn't think of any special moment when humidity was extreme. (Maybe in Homestead) There was that one E Florida rainstorm when I was afraid that I'd be washed off the street.

You know, it's kinda special to still be in the US but be south of the mouth of the Mississippi.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, it's kinda special to still be in the US but be south of the mouth of the Mississippi.
Steve

Parts of Florida, Texas and points west qualify for that, south of the mouths of the Mississippi. Plural mouths as there are different major passes that lead to the Gulf, all south of me.

But when I go to the East Bank I travel west across a bridge. @Carol Dee likes to mention what directions the Mississippi flows where where is. Down here the Mississippi flows south, north, east, and west, all within a few miles of where I live.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Parts of Florida, Texas and points west qualify for that, south of the mouths of the Mississippi. Plural mouths as there are different major passes that lead to the Gulf, all south of me.

But when I go to the East Bank I travel west across a bridge. @Carol Dee likes to mention what directions the Mississippi flows where where is. Down here the Mississippi flows south, north, east, and west, all within a few miles of where I live.

that also likely means you're not too far above sea level... eek! got water wings? :)

Latest posts