Weather Where You Are

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee : i just watched a short vid on FB from The Weather Channel. The corn that was destroyed in Iowa by the wind was worth about $3.4 billion - now it cannot be used for anything. This will create shortages in many types of food, feed, and then how will the poor farmers tide themselves over? So sad.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It must have been way over 55 today.
Last night we had lightening flashes but no storm. Now we have dark clouds overhead I've heard thunder and felt a sprinkling of rain. We may have a storm tonight.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Rhodie Ranch , the corn doesn't have to be a total loss. In the 2012 drought, many locals baled them in large bales for cattle. Still, the insurance companies will be paying out.
Funny, I hardly grew any corn this year. Just got too busy, or too tired when it was time to plant. This is what mine looked like a week ago:

Neighbor's corn bed blew over a few weeks ago and never recovered.

Attachments

• Corn bed, early August, 2020.jpg
    Corn bed, early August, 2020.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 224

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far, I've had to water the garden 4-5 times. Nothing unusual there... but that's more than the previous two years combined. DW & I have been out in the gardens nearly every day. It is really great to finally have a normal summer, after two consecutive years of record rainfall.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
But, 55 C is 131 F

That's medium rare ...
Trust me, I have been well cooked.
My nieghbor was going by what she read as being to temperature, she couldn't believe her eyes what was showing off my little gadget o_O

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We have had several over 90 degrees with heat indexes of over 100 degrees throughout the summer. I dunno how your garden survives, either, @Rhodie Ranch . Dunno if this would help in the future, BUT, when I start my gardening season I have great ideas, and if I had garden servants they would all get done! One idea was potting up lettuce, spinach, and peas and growing them on the shady north side of my house. I don't know if they would still have trouble with the summer temperatures and bolt on me, BUT, in your future, maybe you can shade out part of your garden in anticipation of terrible summer heat. :hugs

Latest posts