Weather Where You Are

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It sure looks like nearly all the spaghetti models ..

. indicate that this storm will show up on @Dirtmechanic 's doorstep.

!

Steve

Our very accurate (haha) forecast models indicate 8-10 inches on the high side. Soo.. why is the weather blob always on top of me? Of course being Alabama give it 5 minutes and it will change.
VGQMKQBFVVEILG7SR2BDM4Y5LU.png

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NWS Birmingham this morning says:

"Radar update at 8:35 am: rain continues to move north with rain rates around 0.25” - 0.50” an hour. Some of the heavier showers are producing locally higher amounts up to 0.75”. Be safe traveling."

I can't imagine driving with what those higher numbers would do to road conditions.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i tink we got frosted last night... :(

yesterday i didn't check the weather forecast and i wouldn't have believed it anyways with how badly they've been in accuracy this season.

a friend called to say that we should cover the gardens, but we have way too many and most of everything is done except whatever beans were going to need to finish up and i couldn't get all those covered either.

will be interesting to see what survives and continues and what doesn't.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frost? That could be rather "decisive." I'm still waiting for the rain. Air quality is Unhealthy but not far into that category. I can easily smell the smoke although there is something of a breeze blowing in the morning darkness.

Venturing out to the pickup, to see a couple of the tiniest drops of moisture on the hood and windshield.

There is still hope since it's raining to the south and moving this way. I had expected something more from the Pacific, with Portland and areas east of the Cascades having some heavy rain over the last 24 hours.

Those are good locations for the rain.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i sure hope the entire west gets a good drenching soon to clear the air and put out the fires!

we did certainly get a frost last night since the creeping thyme had a white fuzz on top and both the birdbaths had ice in them.

kinda surprising to me with all the sunshine we had yesterday and all the rocks around to hold heat, but i guess they didn't hold enough.

i'll go out in a while to check things and see what else is up, but i'm not in any hurry. whatever i get picked today i can shell and cook tonight - rinse and repeat for the rest of the week as much as i can leave that shows signs of surviving and finishing i'll leave alone, the rest i'll try to pick and we'll either eat or freeze after i get it cooked. whatever else is left that i can't use will get turned under as worm food so it all never goes to waste.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug ,

Did your morning lows go like from ..

. mid-40's to 30°f?

Steve

i think it got colder than that, we had a few nights get down into the high and mid-30s last week, but then i thought we were back into a warming trend so i didn't think it was going to frost. last night it got cold again, but no frost that i can see out there now. low 40s now. no more frost the rest of the week.

the zinnias that were looking so cheerful and full of blooms are shot.

tomatoes, melons, buckwheat, etc. are definitely done now too. peas are blooming and looking like nothing happened. cosmos look ok i think. but not sure it's a bit too early yet for me to be coherent... :)

Latest posts