Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, the next one will be Eta. Many more letters in the Greek alphabet before we run out.
"If Zeta continues on its projected path, it will be the fifth named storm to make landfall in Louisiana this year, which is the most since hurricane record-keeping began in 1851, according to Barry Keim, Louisiana's state climatologist." NOLA . com

Zeta, Eta, Theta ... ? History both repeating itself and rhyming?

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
"If Zeta continues on its projected path, it will be the fifth named storm to make landfall in Louisiana this year, which is the most since hurricane record-keeping began in 1851, according to Barry Keim, Louisiana's state climatologist." NOLA . com

Zeta, Eta, Theta ... ? History both repeating itself and rhyming?

Steve

looks like it is moving pretty quick so perhaps it won't be too bad compared to some of the others that have lingered and dumped a lot of rain. we'll see...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, the fifth time this year I've been in the crosshairs but every previous one changed, they all missed me. This one feels a little different, all computer models are in great agreement, on track, just a little disagreement on timing. The center of this thing could easily move several miles one way or another, the track is not a line but is a zone, but it looks like 6:00 pm Wednesday is when my wind directions reverse. That does not mean the eye passes right over me but that it is pretty darn close. We'll see how accurate that is.

It is fast-moving. It will drop a lot of water but nothing like the ones that just sit there and rain. We will probably experience tropical storm force winds, 40 to 60 mph. I don't have to worry about storm surge where I am, that's part of why we bought in this area. Since it is fast moving, storm surge won't be as bad as it could for others.

As a local meteorologist said, we can handle this one. Calls for evacuation will be for the normal areas, outside the flood walls that are always in danger. This storm should not call for a general evacuation. We will have some power outages, we always do when a hurricane or strong tropical storm hits. If I can, I'll be back on here Thursday morning or otherwise when the power comes back on.

I really don't anticipate any serious problems. We don't have any trees close enough to cause a problem. Drains have been cleaned. I have gas for the generator and it works. We've been stocked up with supplies all summer. The cars are gassed up. I'll have the cars in shelter and anything that could become a missile put away and the storm panels up to protect windows. My biggest concern is how to manage the dogs, one especially will not like the weather.

These things are dangerous so all thoughts and prayers are appreciated. But make that for all the people in the area, not just me.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, the fifth time this year I've been in the crosshairs but every previous one changed, they all missed me. This one feels a little different, all computer models are in great agreement, on track, just a little disagreement on timing. The center of this thing could easily move several miles one way or another, the track is not a line but is a zone, but it looks like 6:00 pm Wednesday is when my wind directions reverse. That does not mean the eye passes right over me but that it is pretty darn close. We'll see how accurate that is.

It is fast-moving. It will drop a lot of water but nothing like the ones that just sit there and rain. We will probably experience tropical storm force winds, 40 to 60 mph. I don't have to worry about storm surge where I am, that's part of why we bought in this area. Since it is fast moving, storm surge won't be as bad as it could for others.

As a local meteorologist said, we can handle this one. Calls for evacuation will be for the normal areas, outside the flood walls that are always in danger. This storm should not call for a general evacuation. We will have some power outages, we always do when a hurricane or strong tropical storm hits. If I can, I'll be back on here Thursday morning or otherwise when the power comes back on.

I really don't anticipate any serious problems. We don't have any trees close enough to cause a problem. Drains have been cleaned. I have gas for the generator and it works. We've been stocked up with supplies all summer. The cars are gassed up. I'll have the cars in shelter and anything that could become a missile put away and the storm panels up to protect windows. My biggest concern is how to manage the dogs, one especially will not like the weather.

These things are dangerous so all thoughts and prayers are appreciated. But make that for all the people in the area, not just me.
We will keep you and all in the storms path in our prayers for sure. Stay safe, be well and fingers crossed we will ear from you VERY soon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

not much has changed in the forecast landfall location since i last looked, so yeah, this one is different than the rest i've followed.

good luck and be safe down there everyone!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The track of Zeta is the same. The speed of movement has picked up a bit so it hits a bit earlier but should be out of here by midnight. That's the good news, it is not expected to be a big flooding or storm surge event with that speed. But wind speed has increased, it is now supposed to hit as a Category 2. It's going to cause damage and power outages. I expect to see wind gusts in the 90's.

I'm still staying put, Everything I can see or think of that might become a missile s put away. Hurricane panels are all up. Cars are sheltered. I don't know what else I can do but wait. I'm taking it seriously but I'm not really concerned for me and mine. Power outage is my biggest concern and I can safely run a generator to handle that. The highs for the next couple of days is predicted to be in the mid to upper 60's. Without Air Conditioning that's a lot better than the typical 90's for an August or September storm.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The track of Zeta is the same. The speed of movement has picked up a bit so it hits a bit earlier but should be out of here by midnight. That's the good news, it is not expected to be a big flooding or storm surge event with that speed. But wind speed has increased, it is now supposed to hit as a Category 2. It's going to cause damage and power outages. I expect to see wind gusts in the 90's.

I'm still staying put, Everything I can see or think of that might become a missile s put away. Hurricane panels are all up. Cars are sheltered. I don't know what else I can do but wait. I'm taking it seriously but I'm not really concerned for me and mine. Power outage is my biggest concern and I can safely run a generator to handle that. The highs for the next couple of days is predicted to be in the mid to upper 60's. Without Air Conditioning that's a lot better than the typical 90's for an August or September storm.
Hang in there. Sounds like you have it handled. Be Well and stay safe. (After the Derecho event in IA with sustained winds of 100 to140 mph for 30 to 45 minutes. I can only imagine what a hurricane entails!)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking of you and your experiences with that, Carol. The advantage we have is that we've been through them before and have warning, You did not. Not everyone down here takes advantage of the warning but most do.

They were interviewing a couple about my age from somewhere in the mid-west, not sure exactly where. Riding out a hurricane was on his bucket list so they came down and went to an exposed location.. He admitted he thought it would be a Category 1, not a 2. His wife mumbled something about being a bit nervous. Odds are they will come through it fine and have some stories to tell. Maybe. Hopefully the local officials can convince them to move to somewhere a little safer.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking of you and your experiences with that, Carol. The advantage we have is that we've been through them before and have warning, You did not. Not everyone down here takes advantage of the warning but most do.

They were interviewing a couple about my age from somewhere in the mid-west, not sure exactly where. Riding out a hurricane was on his bucket list so they came down and went to an exposed location.. He admitted he thought it would be a Category 1, not a 2. His wife mumbled something about being a bit nervous. Odds are they will come through it fine and have some stories to tell. Maybe. Hopefully the local officials can convince them to move to somewhere a little safer.
Yep, it was the NO WARNING that caught most of us off guard! Have to laugh at a mid-westerner going looking for storm to ride out! It is not uncommon to see us out looking at the skies for the tornado instead of seeking cover! :hu

Latest posts