Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just slipped on the way to the garage - owww! Sometimes it is really better to have the air temperature colder than the ground temperature.

I had a hard time believing that it would warm up enough to rain yesterday but it did . . . for awhile. And then there was sleet.

This keeps happening and with the ground frozen solid - there's ice everywhere. The day's forcast is for "periodic freezing drizzle." The high temperature will be above freezing and it will supposedly get warmer and much wetter over the next few days. Oh Boy! Running mud again.

This will be the 3rd time this winter for this kind of thing. It won't warm up enuf to thaw the frozen ground except for the top couple of inches - and it rains, then freezes again. I live on glacial till - there's an enormous amount of gravel down there. Water drains really, really well - it just . . . can't!

I wonder if I can find that old pair of football cleats :/?

Steve

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Steve , I agree with you ! In my area the snow has just melted a smidgen -- the temperature has been 1*Celsius today but the ground under the snow is frozen solid. It is going to be a disaster by morning......!!. I'll have to be very careful when I shut the chickens up today.

Take care of yourself ! :fl
Roll on Spring !

:rose Hattie :rose

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is cold here, the snow is in no way melting.
I spent some time outside at my friend's farm and my feet were so cold by the time we left that even the car ride home with the heat blasting did not warm them.
Its not so bad if there isn't wind, well its cold for sure but the wind makes it so much worse.
I could not wait to get home and have a nice cup of hot tea.
Its only January so we still have a way to go until spring, keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't rain like it did last year so we can get out there and enjoy our gardens.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ouch Digits!!! Hey I have heard of people tacking bottle caps (sharp side down, to wide elastic(of course bend down the extra tack,) then stretch them over your shoes for makeshift cleats... dont know if it works or not, I pull big socks over the out side of my shoes, they give some grip.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
Ouch Digits!!! Hey I have heard of people tacking bottle caps (sharp side down, to wide elastic(of course bend down the extra tack,) then stretch them over your shoes for makeshift cleats... dont know if it works or not, I pull big socks over the out side of my shoes, they give some grip.
OH OH OH... I used to do this when I was growing up. The pond at the park would freeze over and rather then play hockey on skates on the ice we did make shift cleats like this with bottle caps and run with sneakers on!

It got VERY bloody!!!! Getting kicked with them were...well... OW! But nice to keep them in an extra set of sneakers on snow days when we had to shovel a frozen driveway at 6am to get to school on time. :D

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
wifezilla said:
With out 70% chance of snow we got....

Nothing.

It's just really really cold. It will be in the 50's by Saturday.

If you think that is weird, wait until April. It can be 70 one day and we can have a blizzard the next.
Good thing you're NOT posting pictures!! DH LLOOOOVVVEESS the Colorado Mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool (You see, his GM grew up in Georgetown, his father spent some time growing up in Denver--we HAVE to visit about every year for his mountain FIX!! He'd be a goner....it was bad ENOUGH when he saw Michelle's pics (BYC post) from Alaska last week!! :lol:

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just for hubby...
1000388.jpg

This is the view about 2 minutes from my house :D

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow - that's incredible! I'm guessing that's a different time of year? :D We're hoping to get our first day above freezing since Christmas on Weds. I'm just hoping to see a little sunshine. These cold, grey days don't do me much good. :barnie

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks Wifezilla, now I'm homesick for the mountains, too!

Don't dare show this to my DH. He grew up in Canon City and Florence. We spent the better part of 3 years trying to figure out how to move there and still eat. He's got relatives still there and I loooove the area, so, for now, it's our vacation spot of choice.

Latest posts