Weed ID - Found in our woods - East Texas

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
another picture of weed.jpg
I

@Gardening with Rabbits once asked about the one I'm thinking of and I said, "oh, it's that baby's breath type weed." Perhaps I shouldn't have suggested a gypsophilia. She didn't believe me anyway but if I'd said that I think it's in the borage family, maybe she would have found it for us ... gypsophilia is also in that family, if I remember right. It's that I don't think of borage plants as having white flowers.

Steve

ME not believe you??? lol I believe everything you say. Was it this picture with the pod looking thing? This weed is kind of tall. That first picture reminds me of blackberry, but not.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was really getting off on the wrong track ... Thank you, @Pulsegleaner !

And, thanks @Gardening with Rabbits ! I'm fairly sure that was what you were asking about and what I said was a gypsophilia (baby's breath) relative. And yes, gypsophilia and silene are relatives.

I'm not sure how I drug borage in on this ... I'm not going to try figuring that out because there is this silene/gypsophilia connection which likely has absolutely nothing to do with @Devonviolet 's pictures!

smiley_looney.gif
Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well it looks like one of our shared weeds is called Carolina Geranium. That is a good site, I see several "weeds" I recognize!

upload_2016-4-17_11-36-27.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have found an online guide from Virginia Tech to be useful for weed ID (link). Yep, all the way across the continent.

Our garden weeds came with immigrants from Europe and Asia. Some are invasive, even beyond the borders of our yards and gardens. Only some of our garden environment is native.

I've only learned in recent years that some earthworm species made the trip also. I wonder how much of every garden environment was completely picked up and moved from elsewhere(s). We can be sure it includes organisms down to the microscopic.

Looking at these animals, I've learned a meaning of a word I thought only had to do a bird - "peregrine." The falcon lives most everywhere in the air and on earth. Some earthworms live most everywhere in the earth ... from the fastest creatures to worms in our gardens, "peregrine." They are "cosmopolitan" ... having wandered in from elsewhere. Cosmopolitan plants as well ...

Steve

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have found an online guide from Virginia Tech to be useful for weed ID (link). Yep, all the way across the continent.

Thanks for that link, Steve. I was just clicking on some of the weed names, listed alphabetically, and was finding names for weeds I have had over the years, and never knew what they were called.

Latest posts