Weed ID please

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what does a gallon of vinegar cost? 2 cups of salt? Gallon of round-up mix costs about $.60. Round up is less than $20/gallon which makes about 40 gallons of spray.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Round Up is a chemical. Of course vinegar, salt and soap makes up a chemical but I don't think they are as likely to kill my chickens if they eat the foliage or scratch around in it. Salt isn't suppose to be good for chickens but so far it hasn't seemed to hurt them eating leftover popcorn, chips, stale crackers, etc. Then again maybe chickens wouldn't be interested in dried up foliage when they have such lush green all around them.

I say use whatever your conscious dictates and/or $$$'s allow.

As usual I can see every side which infuriates me to no end, lol. In theory, some things work and some things don't. Just like in my garden I don't use chemical poisons most years but if it comes down to a crop or not I have a time or two years past used some Sevin dust. Now I know about diatomaceous earth I would buy that. I find that healthy plants have far less damage from insects however so usually a spray made of cayenne, a squirt of dish soap, and a clove or two of garlic keeps most things away. Better yet just hand pick and/or companion plant.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someone once told me about a poison ivy cure where you eat it then a friend of theirs tried it and ended up in the ER. I think I will stick to eating dock or poke salad.

I've heard that pigs are good for rooting up poison ivy, poison oak, dock, kudzu or about any nuisance plant or everything in sight for that matter. Of course you might not want to go that extreme for one dock plant.

Here is a site for making your own. I keep telling DH to make this instead of buying Roundup. I worry it might hurt my free range chickens to eat the dead and dying vegetation. http://www.food.com/recipe/weed-killer-at-half-the-price-of-round-up-434896
Last time I checked, most cities , towns, and townships, and even some rural areas have laws / regulations and CC&Rs that limit the types of livestock ( especially pigs) that is allowed on your property. I know this since we owned and lived on ONE ACRE of land only 2 miles from a small town of 17,200 people. :eek: That weed killer "spray" that you recomend will ONLY have the leaves and possibly the stems turn brown and die, but will do NOTHING to the roots, so the plants will regrow in short order. :rant Numerous reaplications of this "weed killer " will only yield you with only more frustrating labor for reaplications of a pseudo " weed killer" . :th

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used the vinegar solution before it seemed to do pretty good. It worked a lot like a weed burner it took stuff down but some of it grew back from the roots. I used the B&T last year it did not really phase this weed. So I am going the crossbow route this time before this stuff spreads any further. Where can I find crossbow?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any farm store that carries 2-4D, glysophates, etc will have it. Great for killing dandelions in yard but not hurt the grass.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rural king & Big R has it.

Crossbow is trade name. $66/gal for concentrate
Cross Road is generic. $44/gal for concentrate.

I use Cross Road-I'm cheap.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try to cultivate it and make it grow more....nothing quicker to make it die out. ;)
Are you sure about that ? In my garden , I found out if I water, fertilize and tend to the cultivation of weeds, they grow better and stronger than before and produce a 1,000 fold more seed and my intended crop withers and dies. :idunno So , I think that I will stick to the tried and true chemical warfare . :)

Latest posts