Weed ident..

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all! Long time no read.

So I'm in Southern California and have an odd weed that is recently shown up in the past year and don't know what it is and need help identifying it..

It's a fairly aggressive grower and spreader and has small thorny like things up and down the main branch in and around the leaves such that when you grab it with your hand you get a weird tingling sensation as it has some sort of poisonous stuff that takes a while to wear off..

image.jpg image.jpg

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds about right.. Thx

I just wish I knew where it came from.. Any ideas on how to get rid of it organically? Id prefer not to use roundup or similar if possible..

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A quick poking around seems to indicated that I could possibly use a tiller regularly and eventually it'll run out of steam and be gone.. Hmm

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just keep chopping it/tilling it before it gets seed heads and becomes a nuisance. It's going to take a few till-throughs but you will kill it eventually You could also trying spraying it down with vinegar.

We have that stuff growing all over the place around here. From your description of the tingling sensation you sound pretty resistant to it like me. It will give most people a really bad and itchy rash. Being where you are some nettle seed was probably carried over on somebody's shoe or tire from somewhere that has more stinging nettle.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Rick :frow.

I wish someone would jump in here and say, "I've killed stinging nettle with 20% acetic acid vinegar!"

This herbicidal vinegar is becoming more and more commonly available. I guess it works for a lot of weeds. There seem to be quite a range in price: about $17 to over $40 per gallon. It can be diluted for some weeds but I don't think I'd give stinging nettle a chance.

Steve
edited: there's SeedO saying you could try it ;).

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Rick :frow.

I wish someone would jump in here and say, "I've killed stinging nettle with 20% acetic acid vinegar!"

This herbicidal vinegar is becoming more and more commonly available. I guess it works for a lot of weeds. There seem to be quite a range in price: about $17 to over $40 per gallon. It can be diluted for some weeds but I don't think I'd give stinging nettle a chance.

Steve
edited: there's SeedO saying you could try it ;).
Thanks Steve for the heads up!! I might have to lookout for some of that!!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
GAH! I have the horrible burning rash reaction that seedO described, hate that stuff...even though i know its supposed to be a healthy edible i dont think i'll ever eat it or drink the tea.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Cooking destroys the stinging compound. I drink nettle tea lots. It does not grow in my garden, and I am wary of planting this bane of childhood. So I buy a weed.