weed killer?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL Nyboy! It's not so much the 'organic' I was hoping for as the 'effective & still plantable'. That big 'bed-to-be' behind the house is KILLING me with the grass removal. I'm not patient enough with this particular bed to do the cardboard/plastic thing. Once I get it all dug up I'll lay down a thick layer of newspaper and cover with mulch.
Although.... one more whole afternoon spend crawling around filling the chickens' weed bucket might have me digging out the grill lighter thingy.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got one of those blow torch things fro weeds. It kills what is on top of the ground but does not work well for roots. I now use a grass/weed killer on my driveway.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you're not worried about being organic and it's just for a flowerbed, spraying a grass & weed killer to prep the site will make a big difference later in how much weeding you'll have to do. I am overrun with quackgrass up here because this used to be farm land. Really, the whole lawn needs to be reseeded. Normally I am not particular about my lawn. A few dandelions and plantain don't bother me at all and the clover I welcome to feed my bees. But this invasive grass is the most frustrating stuff. I sprayed two years ago to prep my ground for the front landscaping and it is currently the only bed or plot that I have not had to fight grass in. After mulching, I've barely had any weeding to do.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Know for some a cuss word, but Round-up is your answer

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tons of vinegar & salt all over our driveway and strip next to it, doesn't work. Literally dumped a whole bag of salt, 50#, onto a 2x3ft area. Forgot to spread it out. Grass grows there like crazy....We use real weed killer and the fabric/mulch.

I use a bit of vinegar, Dawn and water to keep bugs off veggies...

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd say fire is organic..nature uses it all the time..;)

Actually a tiger torch used on weeds growing in sidewalk and pathways works pretty good, BUT, it depends on the weed. Deep rooted weeds like dandelions, will sprout up once again.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried just vinegar-it did not work...

Odd, I tried vinegar the other day to kill some weeds in rocks and it worked great. The next day they were all crispy. Now, these were all small plants, I don't know if it works on older, bigger plants.

Last edited:

Latest posts