Weed or Thyme

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
what is this blue flower/ I have it in all my beds, so afraid it is weed, but I like it
DSCF0551.JPG
DSCF0550.JPG
DSCF0552.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it was a thyme (I don't think so) it would be fragrant when bruised.
It looks very similar to Ajuga, in fact the blooms are practically identical, but Ajuga forms a flower spike, and the leaves aren't as serrated on the edge.

But if it's not a domestic cultivar it doesn't matter as long as you like it.
I think it's pretty.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not a thyme. The leaves are totally different. I don't think it's a weed either. I'd keep it. I'm sure it's low maintenance.

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
another bane of my existence in the garden, ground ivy! :barnie i can't get through a season without the stuff growing through the bottom holes of my landscape pots that i grow some of my veggies in. if i don't keep on top of pulling & keeping that in check it will take over in an instant.

it has a strong smell i also don't like.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good news and bad news then NYboy. It's pretty now, but it's a horrible thing to get in your lawn.
Chickie and Red got it right. Ground Ivy, aka Creeping Charlie is the most tenacious plant that I've seen get into lawns. I don't do lawns, just beds and borders, so I guess the good news is that even though it runs amok through turf, I've never seen it in the beds at those homes that have it.

Interestingly there is a cultivar sold as a pot stuffer for containers. I'm embarrassed to say I bought the variegated one for a container of a clients. :oops:
I hope it doesn't get away from me....

The botanical name is Glechoma hederacea, since there are so many overlapping common names for plants.

Latest posts