weed that snaps and shoots out its seed when touched? (in Georgia)

mortswife

Sprout
Reaction score
http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts/query/displayWeed.asp?problemID=2075&tableName=Weed

So glad to find your question! I have these little cusses everyplace in my garden! I live in the Pacific Northwest. They start growing right about now and are just the prettiest little flowers - right during the time I don't want to be in the garden. By the time I actually get out there - they've gone to seed. Of course, pulling them is just a waste of time and I always get the seeds in my eyes when I try to pull the weeds! I feed birds and squirrels, have dogs, and don't want to use chemicals - or I'd toss pre-emergent out there right now!! I'm about ready to decide they will make a fine ground cover.

:cool:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Mortswife for bring this post back. I've found a WEALTH of these suckers growing in my raised beds right now. I'm pulling them asap, they haven't flowered yet, so great timing. Maybe the chickens will eat them?! ;)

mortswife

Sprout
Reaction score
They might! We have lots of birds including mourning doves - they are all constantly searching for seeds so maybe they'll help. I'm debating whether to force myself out there on days it's not raining to pull weeds or to go out there on days it's not raining to lay down layers of newspaper to try to kill out a lot of them. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The second photo looks like chickweed. It is fairly easy to pull, is great for the compost bin when all other green material is dead. But it spreads like crazy. I used my mantis on it and spread it all over my gardens. When you chop it up with a tiller each little piece starts a new plant. It's 12 degrees outside and my chickweed is alive and growing. Get rid of it before it's too late!!!!

mortswife

Sprout
Reaction score
I think that's why it's such a hassle for me. Growing happily out there in the Willamette Valley rain. And it'll still be raining when it's getting ready to go to seed. But, edible??? Hmmm??? Maybe a new business? LOL

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I feed these to my guinea pigs, they love them. My bearded dragon will eat them too. They stay pretty small so I don't normally pull them, unless get them for the pigs.

Emma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think I've got both of those plants growing in my herb containers. I like to leave the "weeds" and see what they turn into. I'll eat some and report back in the next day or two.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother called bittercress 'touch me not' because after it's flowered, it will shoot seeds all over the place if you try to pull it then. The best way to get rid of it is to pull it in the early spring before it flowers. It can't shoot seeds then. It's really a nuisance for me, and I'm after it already this year.

Latest posts