Weeping willow

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, that's a good idea VFEM! I always did suspect that willows and poplars contain natural rooting hormone.

How do you do that? Use a knife and whittle on the bark and cambium layers?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeping willows are beautiful trees. But in my small yard I can't spare the room for a BIG willow. And really am afraid they would not last long as the old Hackberry in front. That tree predates our 107 year old home! :) It is huge and in pretty good shape. It will be greatly missed when it comes time to take it down.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the Arctic Willows are the size and shape of a Poinsettia, easily kept smaller too. Got to make sure you get the right variety though. One is called Purple, but is only vaguely so, and is real pretty, especially in winter, the bare twigs sticking up all snow covered, so cool like.

Others make large shrubs. I think those were called Coral Willow. We had a regular bunch of trees and shrubs for winter beauty. Dogwoods, Manchurian Cherry, oh...some cherry with almost birch like bark named after some river in northeast asia...trying to think of the name...I bet thistle knows...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know a cherry named after a river....there is a Himalayan cherry that has beautiful burgundy colored peeling bark :idunno

Speaking of willows rooting, one year at the greenhouse we used willow trimmings as stakes for some of the clematis that were out climbing the bamboo supports and they sprouted leaves and began growing. We repotted those and the boss sold them.

Latest posts