Weight Loss . . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have done fairly well to only gain back the 7 pounds I lost last summer :/. I cannot remember when my summer weight loss was so low. Usually, I drop at least 10 pounds. Unfortunately, I often gain 15 pounds during the winter.

Not enuf work and downsizing the gardens is my excuse and I should be rectifying that by expanding the big veggie garden in 2013! I guess I could have gone this route:

Lean Cuisine Recall Over Broken Glass Inside Their Prepared Meals (don't click)

My approach to staving off a little of the weight gain has been my More Fruit Plan! Yes, I eyeball 3, count 'em, THREE servings of fruit for breakfast. Oh, I have some cereal, toast or pancakes also but the 3 servings make up so much of the meal that I can eat little else. Thru the rest of the day, I practice my usual high veggie cuisine. That all is really the same, year-around.

Recently, I came across another idea: reverse the order of your meals. Yeah, for me it would be veggie stir-fries for breakfast!!!! Dinner would be all the fruit with pancakes, toast or cereal.

Euro-Americans were very accustomed to thinking that a low-veggie diet was "best," one hundred years ago. It really took immigrants from southern Europe and Asia to change the thinking about healthful food. That, and a near continual drumbeat of information on the high vitamin, high antioxidant qualities of fruits and vegetables from our nutritionists.

What do you think? Could you lose weight by eating green vegetables for breakfast?

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
As much as I enjoy veggies throughout the day... I don't think I would enjoy a stir-fry for breakfast. Unless, it was in the form of an omelet. I have eaten 2 eggs, and a piece of toast for breakfast- for nearly my whole life. Old habits die hard! Weight gain for me does not happen due to the meals I eat. They are all pretty healthy and reasonably sized. The problem for me, is the dreaded in between meal snacking! While I enjoy many benefits from working at home, the unfortunate side is that the fridge and cupboards are only a staircase away! I do try to run up and down the stairs real fast, in an effort to burn a few of the calories- Hey, a girl had to do, what a girl can! I am currently wearing my 10 pounds of extra winter weight... one of the many reasons I look forward to spring!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Lesa . . .

I didn't say that I'd . .

. enjoy broccoli, celery and green onions for breakfast ;).

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I quit thinking about losing weight in summer. I lost that war when I hit my 50's. my problem is come February, I do more lifting which turns some of my fat into a few muscles. Muscle weighs more than fat-- denser. So feel better, do more but weight stays same.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, over the holidays I gained the 5 lbs that I had lost and I thought about you! Ha, But come January I said "that's it and I stopped snacking on cheetos and Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey ice-cream. I think I'm addicted to those two and they always seem to be on sale and that was my excuse.

I'm with Lesa, yep the fridge and cupboards are right by me. :rolleyes: For breakfast, I eat greek yogurt with blueberries, half a a banana with a tablespoon of raw sunflower seeds and a drizzle of honey. Along with my jasmine tea. Mid morning is a handful of nuts with raisons. This really curbs my hunger. Lunch, I like one egg along with a veggie. I've stopped eating the 2 corn tortillas that went with it.

I've cut back on carbs which is very hard since I love tortillas and bread! But now I eat them occasionally. Still would like to lose 5 more pounds but I don't think that's gonna happen!

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've had to switch over my thinking recently so now i'm watching carbs, which seems to be working. i haven't bothered to weigh myself, but my husband while he was down and out for a few weeks lost 18lbs and now he's been forced to watch his portions and the carbs. if he keeps loosing the weight i will be very happy and hope he can get off more medication.

we're both having a couple egg whites with 1 yolk, some fruit, either a yogurt, pudding or cottage cheese and a piece of bread or toast. of course it all depends on how i have to switch up carbs for yogurt, pudding, fruits, or any condiments being used with the eggs. i've been trying to keep meals limited to 50-60 grams of carbs and a mid morning and mid afternoon snack or his blood sugar would spike at meals. i found that homemade blueberry muffins seem to be a decent snack that he likes and help keep that number in check. he's also on a limited diet since he's supposed to be on ground/soft foods and thickened liquids. so he's been getting a lot of fish and meals done in the crock pot.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Salad greens for breakfast, Mary?

Seedcorn, I have lost many battles. They began when i was just past 40 and my body decided that I could eat, whether I was hungry or not. I had been a skinny kid up until then. I have decided to hold the line at the 38th Parallel but it ain't a fixed 200# no-man's land!

I will lose weight during the summer. And, I will gain during the winter. It is okay with me if I gain a little but I can't be doing this lose 10#, gain 15# or 20#!! Ten more years of that sort of thing . . . ! I'd be at the Pusan perimeter with my heels in the Sea!

What I'm really trying to do is keep the weight off as painlessly as possible during the winter. Just when I've reached the "max" - I've gotta get out there and start working! Soft, flabby . . . there's only 1 thing going for this old guy. I am steadily growing darker. Yeah, it must be the Indian ancestry. Certainly true with Dad. "The white folks" accuse me of spending the winter in warmer climes! Really, I've just "gone back to the blanket" for about 3 or 4 months.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of getting in shape for summer...I had no idea how out of shape I was until I did my apple tree pruning yesterday. My arms feel like they are going to fall off! You would have thought lugging around a 22 lb. baby would have had some effect. Unfortunately and deceivingly, not the same. I'm seriously gonna start working out now, so I'll be ready. I've got big plans for the garden/critters this year! :lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
This reminds me of a funny thing I saw on pinterest the other day.... I may not be ready for bathing suit season, but I am all set for poncho season!
Journey, I am with you. Every time I am working out and feel like giving up- I start thinking of my garden, and how mad I would be if I wasn't strong enough to do what I wanted to do. That usually gets me through the work out!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Poncho season!?! LOL!

Journey, I pruned the peach tree yesterday, cleaned the coop, dug out part of a garden bed to 10", removed part of my neighbor's fence . . . My thumb is sooo sore this morning! This was a problem I had last summer and it completely went away. Now, I'm wondering how much use that left hand will be if it gets worse.

My stomach also became sore from all the bending & lifting of heavy wet soil. That will put me off my feed and I can lose weight . . .

I think I'm okay. The plans for the shed and protective growing in my neighbor's garden are coming together :)!

Rain or snow tomorrow but I can't think of what outdoor work I should be doing today . . . I could . I might . I should beginning clearing the ground for that shed but the neighbor goes to work in the afternoon so will have to be careful about his need for sleep. My gosh, he's got a wild rose and a century plant over there! Maybe he will be out and tell me what can be done with the dang rose bush! I should have some herb tea while I gear up . . .

There will be some snow to walk thru but his garden is in the full sun and no snow over there :cool:.

Steve

I'll stroll on over there after I've had that cup of tea:

Roslyn%2520copy.jpg

Latest posts