Weird weed question

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This sounds strange, but has anyone else noticed that when you plant a row of something, the type weeds that end up growing there look very similar to what you planted? It's as though they're camouflaging to keep you from digging them up. I thought this "law of similars" was my imagination, until I mentioned it to a friend, and she said she had also noticed this strange attraction that similar looking plants seem to have for each other. So, are we two just lost in a twilight zone episode, or is anybody else in on this? It's OK..I'm a retired teacher...You can call me crazy...I can take it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is so funny that you say that!!!! I am forever mentioning this to DH- I am convinced it is a conspiracy! I wonder if we just don't notice the weeds because they are look a likes-but it truly is uncanny! Glad you mentioned it, cause I did think I was a little crazy!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You unlock this gate with the key of imagination.
Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension that belongs to garden gnomes.
You're moving onto soil of both shadow and substance, of weeds and cultivars.
You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

Doo doo DOO doo
Doo doo DOO doo
Dee dee dah-ding
Dee dee dah-ding!

Steve's digits

Vegetable Seedling Photographs

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
It is so funny that you say that!!!! I am forever mentioning this to DH- I am convinced it is a conspiracy! I wonder if we just don't notice the weeds because they are look a likes-but it truly is uncanny! Glad you mentioned it, cause I did think I was a little crazy!!
See there! See there! I knew my friend and I weren't the only ones! And she is NOT imaginary...really! Start noticing. Frilly leaf plants end up with frilly leaf weeds. Reddish plants, reddish weeds, etc. Perhaps those garden gnomes are messing with the Elf's garden...and Lesa's.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
elf wrote:
This sounds strange, but has anyone else noticed that when you plant a row of something, the type weeds that end up growing there look very similar to what you planted? It's as though they're camouflaging to keep you from digging them up.
Yes, BUT they don't know that we can see them and learn how to tell them apart!! :lol:
I have weeds that are shading my tiny 2 week old seedlings, so they DO serve a purpose sometimes.

Latest posts