Well don't that just beat all...grumble grumble

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember when ALL gas stoves had a pilot light. Thank you former President Jimmy Carter for doing your part for the "saving energy" blather and doing away with pilot lights. Now gas stoves come with electronic ignition. Can you even get a gas stove with a pilot light any more?

We're all electric here. Been threatening to get a propane gas stove and run a line for a propane heater.

Not a newer one, but you can find older stoves that do. We just keep a box of matches handy for when the power goes out so we can light our burners manually if need be.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a gas dryer about that time and when the electric striker went out, there was no lighting it with a match. Phooey :tongue on all politicians that want to make things better on "the people" who need protection from themselves.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't bake that often, just bread mostly, so I can tough that out until the power is back on. I do miss the old stoves, though, that you can use with a match or just the pilot light.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I rarely use mine. That's why it never occurred to me that it was going out. But I guess the GE glass top stoves have a bad track record for that. From what I am hearing.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a cheap Hotpoint electric stove and a small and cheap bare basic GE refrigerator. Both were brand new when we bought the house. Thank you HUD. Why HUD put new appliances in here is beyond me, but I'm using them until they die.

Latest posts