Well, what do we have here?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Golden puppies are pretty clean and learn to go potty outside quickly. Dealing with their oral fixation is another matter :he:he I know a few puppies that had to have surgery because of things they swallowed. Buy a gallon of bitter apple and hope your puppy does not like the taste. When he was living with his sibling he played with them using his mouth. He will try and play with you the same way. You need to teach him not to use his mouth playing ( might be cute as puppy, not cute as adult)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Golden puppies are pretty clean and learn to go potty outside quickly. Dealing with their oral fixation is another matter :he:he I know a few puppies that had to have surgery because of things they swallowed. Buy a gallon of bitter apple and hope your puppy does not like the taste. When he was living with his sibling he played with them using his mouth. He will try and play with you the same way. You need to teach him not to use his mouth playing ( might be cute as puppy, not cute as adult)

Yes! This has been a challenge to me. My other two as pups were never so mouthy. I didn't even use a crate with them back in the day and don't know how they did so well to stay out of trouble, especially while I was at work.

She will chew on anything she can find. This is working out to teach the kids to pick up their things though. No amount of threats from me had ever successfully accomplished THAT, lol. I can definitely see this puppy swallowing things and ending up at the vet with an impacted colon. :confused:

I can't let her out of the crate unless I am actively engaging with her. The yard is just as bad. Puppy training really involves more or less training the people! I'm working with the kids to not escalate excitement (especially Savannah who is a squealer.) Marley is less likely to bite if they are slower and more deliberate when they move around her. Right now everything is a toy to her, hands included. She had a hold of the back of Ava's pants leg earlier this morning. Ava stood still and calmly called for me to come rescue her. If she had screamed and tried to run, it would have been torn for sure. Ava has always had a way with animals. I don't think she'll have much trouble establishing dominance. Savannah, however, is a real goof-ball! :rolleyes:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I had more free time and more energy for sure. I did a lot of hiking and outdoor activities back then and I'm sure that made all the difference. I took those dogs everywhere with me, always riding along in the car or to friends' houses. I am glad I have a fenced yard for this one. We have a good road for long walks too. I think I see now why my friend gave me the dog for free. She must have had him outgunned. :p

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Such a nice! You are now have a new and interesting life! It's had chewed house slippers ?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such a nice! You are now have a new and interesting life! It's had chewed house slippers ?

Oh yes, she chews everything. But I take them from her quickly before they are destroyed. I cannot take my eye off this puppy!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I said I wasn't ready for a new dog yet, but it's not every day someone offers me such a nice puppy. :) Her name is Marley. She's a golden retriever (@Jared77 ), has papers and my friend paid $650 for her, but wouldn't take any money for her! He was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder and their kids are busy in high school, so I guess they couldn't keep up with her. She's a very active little girl.

View attachment 18184

My kids are having a blast. :love She is so sweet natured and eager to please and I'm sure I'll have her trained in no time. She came to us already crate and potty trained (for the most part) at 11 weeks old (which helps since I haven't had time to replace my carpet yet.)
View attachment 18185

Savannah dressed herself this morning, bow and all...loves red, lol. View attachment 18186

She is a bottomless pit! I've been giving her the recommended puppy ration, morning and evening feedings, but she is always looking for more. She searches every square inch of the floor looking for bits of things to eat, whether edible or not. o_O Is that normal for goldens? I don't want to overfeed her. The kids will also learn the hard way not to leave their toys laying on the floor. I forgot how puppies are! I've had a dog in my life for 18 years...can't live long without one.
View attachment 18187
View attachment 18188
View attachment 18189
View attachment 18190
View attachment 18191
View attachment 18192

The cat is NOT happy about this new development. :p View attachment 18193
Aaaahhhh kids and puppies.

Latest posts